Bass- at what frequency does it change from sounding like a string to just a low tone?

I have two subs and speakers I like. I have little experience  comparing them to anything  else. As the frequency of a given note goes lower, at some point in my system it stops sounding like an instrument making the sound and instead it just sounds like the sound. I’m not crazy about this, but maybe that’s how it is for everyone?

128x128m669326

My guess is the room has much more to do with making strings sound like just a note than the speaker.  Most rooms have huge peaks and valleys in the deep bass.  I 15db resonance peak will swamp the texture and that peak will be different in every room.  

jon_5912. This is what KEF seems to be doing. My R3 Metas don't have impressive low frequency specs but they seem to take good advantage of room gain. 

Bass is a very subjective thing! I used to have a pair of Klipschorns and what I found was the base response was so low and went through the walls in the floor that it wasn’t truly clear and accurate! What you have to remember is that the vibration of a string is not a constant! There’s slight pitch variations in each note played on the bass! At the same time this will vary from bass to bass! Also, it does depend on the player and how he strikes the note whether it is with a bow ,fingers, or a pick! All of those determine the sound!  Also with a bass string there is a certain amount of decay so if your system sounds like a tone but during the decay starts to gain detail you would adjust for turning bass back! What I think you are referring to  or at least I referred to as as mud! It just sounds like a tone, but it doesn’t have realism! I always opt for realism over depth of tone, anytime! But whatever you prefer, works for you! Trust your ears, and what your ears have learned over the years what is preferable to you and soothe your soul!

Great thread. FWIW my combo of Wharfedale Heritage Lintons and REL T5i connected with Mogami cables, including speaker-level custom Neutrik to the sub, is a dream date. Easy to make the sub disappear. The REL volume knob is click equipped, so I keep it at one setting for daily casual listening…and turn it one click lower volume for louder active listening events, LOL REL set to roll off at about 55 Hz on upper end. Vintage recapped Crown PS-200 pushes 135 +/- wpc into 4 ohms.

The Lintons and the REL have similar drivers - fast/tight 8” woofers which I unscientifically think helps them blend.

The low E-string on a bass guitar is usually tuned to 41.2 Hz, while the lowest note on a standard piano is A at 27.5 Hz. The harmonics are all multiples. Anything less than 27Hz except for a Gravitone - a resultant 64' flue (a 32' stop combined with a 21+2⁄3' stop, which is a fifth, producing a difference tone of 8 Hz on low C.). That's the basement.