Ethernet opinions

Hello everyone, I finally got my system setup. I had a few setbacks the past few months. My mom had lung cancer and passed away a month ago. It has been a journey getting my system set up which is part of the fun. I am running Pass Labs XP-12, pass 250.8, and Bricasti M3. My original plan was to run the Bricasti with a EERO mesh network since the modem is on the opposite end of the listening space. Needless to say the EERO mesh would not work and Roon could not see my M3. I was on the phone with Bricasti trouble shooting the issue. I removed my M3 from the system and double checked everything with it hard wired to the modem which worked. I was told I could really use any Ethernet for the most part as long as it’s cat 5 or 6. Well, I returned the EERO and got a 25 foot Ethernet cable from Best Buy for 10 dollars. The sound is much better then I was guessing running a 10 dollar cable, for me it’s deff a temp fix. Especially since I bought two audio quest vodka cables. I am using one of them now connecting the room nucleus to the modem at the moment. I have read a bit about blue Jean cables which seem to hold spec. I don’t see me buying a longer Audio quest vodka cable given the cost. In some ways I feel like I spent more then I should have on the Vodka cables at this point. Opinions please ?

shtr74sims

Lots of advice, some good some meh.

Here's more.  Isolating your system from ethernet noise is your goal.  First an audiophile switch just before your system with a LPS and second an ethernet cable with filter like the ENO.

Don't believe the knuckle-heads that tell you non audiophile cables and switches are just as good.

I have English Electric, EtherRegen and SOtM switches in that order with LPS's.  Two is better than one and three is better than two.  I have the ENO Ag and 3 SOtM Ethernet cables with filters.  And the EtherRegen and SOtM are clocked and while clocking locks the sound in you can achieve a lot with just one switch and filter in front of your system.

I just recently bought 3 nordost replica's ethernet cables. I filter them through a paramax 5300pm and 2 DX Engineering ISO-PLUS Ethernet RF Filter. So I connect the 3 ethernet cables with the 2 iso-plus filters to my pc onto my dac. It is amazing how much better it sounds, and I already had a better than stock cable that I replaced a supra patch cable which isn't to shabby in its own right. And for what it cost it out ways any guilty conscious I might have for buying them from aliepress.

@grh1958 Indeed, there are gains to be had optimizing the ethernet stream. Many won’t agree, however, with the idea that a counterfeit versus a close copy is an option.

As far as cables are concerned the best ethernet cable I've experienced in my system is the Omega Micro Ebony. It also happens to be one of the least expensive. Under $100 for 3ft.

shtr74sims

My condolences for your loss. I can relate on the Lung CA front. How is your Cable search going?

Happy Listening!