Good Suggestions for Tube Amps under 6k

I wanted to see if there were any group suggestions for an integrated tube amp or tube / solid-state combo under 10k or, even better, under 6k. Still looking for my final purchase in this part of my system.  Thanks everyone.

gregjacob

Greg - You've certainly attracted a lot of good advice. Ha...maybe too much advice. For my two-cents worth, I owned the top of the line Prima Luna and did lots of tube rolling and such. Loved it for two years. But last year I heard and purchased a Line Magnetic 845ia and the "wow factor," as you put it earlier, took a huge leap up/forward - improved presence, body, speed, sound stage, more natural instrument tone, the whole schmear...and all non-fatiguing. My speakers are Forte IVs. As an aside, two weeks ago I added a Border Patrol DAC and my entire system improved yet again. Crazy, and I thought I had reached the promised land.

neptune123

Thanks so much!  Yes, it's pretty overwhelming, and boy, I didn't expect so much advice! You have touched on the essence of this thread:  exploring significant, worthwhile improvements in our already-good listening.  I have been making a "short list" of tube amps as the thread has lengthened (and digressed a few times). I will put Line Magnetic on there as well.  At this point, it isn't if I will change but when, what, and for how much money! Much appreciated. 👍

BTW, have you heard the Line Magnetic 845 Premium model?

No one in this thread mentioned McGary either...

I ended up with an Allnic T2000 30th anniversary which is above your budget but really good.  I was considering the Willsenton R800i 300b 845 which appears to be a fairly good value and solid option for a 2nd system.  Might be an option to the Line Magnetic 845.

As 845's are regularly being discussed. I will add a recollection of a conversation had with the designer/builder who I have developed a friendship with that is now close to 30 years when first meeting. Approx' 20 years ago, at the time of selecting the second Valve Design to be pursued, the following was touched on as a forewarning.

" The Voltages being dealt with are 1200V, this type of Voltage demands a lot of respect, and the use of and the placing of the Amp's will need careful consideration". I am the guardian the Amp's when in use, and will be quite strong about what can/can't happen in the room they are used. Children are now grown up, and now the Grandchildren are inquisitive as well as playful and can easily make a mistake in the company of such a fragile device.   

" If this is the Tube to be used, the Chassis will need to be a certain dimension for thermal control, as a lot of heat is being generated." My Power Amp's Monoblock Output Chassis dimensions are 20" x 20" x 8" (500mm x 500mm x 200mm). The Power Supplies Chassis are close to the above dimensions. The Output Modules seated at a height of 20" from the floor and are in free space with the closest material being a wall at 1' ft away, the next closest material is 2' ft from the Amp's. 

The methods chosen above have never deterred me in any way, it is part of the discipline developed to express a 'vigilant attitude' to making sure others are aware of the fragility of the Tubes and the need for keeping the 'Tubes intact'. The other requirement has been the need to maintain being 'observant' of the Tubes when 'powered on' and 'in use'. 

I have stated in the past and see no reason to change the approach, Tubes are great to experience in their various uses. I have Valve Phon's, Valve DAC, Valve Pre', Valve Power Amp's, the usage suits all my needs for sound quality.

The user of Tubes are in possession of a device that is for the best, when powered on 'not forgotten', observation of the device with tubes whilst being used and after a period of power off, is a good discipline to cultivate.