Single driver speakers without the pitfalls?

In researching SET amps, I have learned a lot more about the sort of high efficiency speakers that they are typically paired with, including single driver models like Omega, Blumenstein, Teresonic, etc.
The advantages of these designs are well acknowledged: coherence, imaging, high-efficiency and so forth.
At the same time, there seem to be equally well acknowledged drawbacks to these designs: Limited bass response, rolled off highs, and a harshness or "shout" in the upper midrange.
Some designers, like Tekton and Zu, seem to take the approach of getting the best of all worlds by joining a wide range driver to a tweeter of some sort. (To some extent, my Reference 3AM De Capo monitors take this approach.)
What I'm curious to learn is whether you think there are any single driver, full range systems that transcend the above limitations.
Eager to hear your thoughts.
rebbi
Rebbi,

Having owned the Tekton Pendragons, and auditioning the Zu Soul Supreme, I am more than happy to retain my Grand Veenas. That said, I would take the Pendragon over the Zu any day.

Shakey
Been reading this thread with much interest as I've always wanted to see what the so called "magic" of a well executed single driver setup was all about. The closest I've come is my current setup of Ohm Walsh 3's which run a semi full range driver crossed over very high (I believe above 8 or 9K), these speakers do a lot well for me and leave little to complain about.

What's striking to me about this thread is that most people who have converted to single driver systems say it's the "distortion" of multiple drivers and crossovers etc... that they are free from that provide them a clarity and magic that multiple drivers can't match. However,the pro-multi driver guys say that the "distortions" of a single driver trying to produce ALL frequencies is like nails on a chalkboard to them. OK, so where does the truth lay? I suppose somewhere in between? Or is it that peoples hearing is so different from person to person and that what one likes another finds unpleasant? I suppose like most things in this hobby there will never really be a consensus but I find it interesting that the term "distortion" is what most people describe as their reasoning...
I haven't mentioned my favs in this thread due to my assumed size speaker you might have been considering but my Rethm Saadhanas run full range with a powered sub for low end fill only. I have a medium sized room and they’re better with a little space behind them. The highs are very solid and smooth, no fatigue, no kazoo distortions, but certainly not as sparkly as some dedicated dome or ribbon tweeters. It's another way to go for single driver set up for low powered amps. I like the Horning’s too. But I truly sit in the camp of “execution is everything”. I didn’t go looking for a single driver speaker. I just happened to run into a presentation that fit my ear.
"Or is it that peoples hearing is so different from person to person and that what one likes another finds unpleasant?"

Much like most choices in life.

Since no speaker is "perfect" you have to choose your distortions and limitations that float one's boat.
What's striking to me about this thread is that most people who have converted to single driver systems say it's the "distortion" of multiple drivers and crossovers etc... that they are free from that provide them a clarity and magic that multiple drivers can't match. However,the pro-multi driver guys say that the "distortions" of a single driver trying to produce ALL frequencies is like nails on a chalkboard to them. OK, so where does the truth lay?

IMO/IME it has everything to do with how hard you push the speaker. If not hard, the single driver speakers will totally deliver! I've heard them sound amazing- especially in smaller (American) rooms (in Europe and other regions where smaller rooms are common, single driver speakers can excel!). But if you like to play at serious volume levels in a bigger room, and especially if you want the bottom octave or two, then you will find single-driver speakers to fall short.

I don't think it has anything to do with how we hear. It has everything to do with setup!