JBL 4367 = Sleep Denervation

I am having a real problem created by the JBL 4367… I can’t stop listening to them. I have been up late (2:00am-3:00am) every night this week and can’t seem to turn them off. I found an extremely good deal on a new pair and bought these blind. They might not even be broken in yet and honestly I am completely blown away. Had/have what I would consider a very good system but nothing too crazy (Revel/Mcintosh/JL, pictures in my profile) and this is a big step change improvement.

The texture in the bass is much better than my JL E112 subs. Enough so that I have lowered the hi-pass frequency to 40hz. The highs are the most delineated I have heard. Where other good speakers shimmer, on the 4367 you hear the actual ride and subtle move of the high hat. I have never heard anything like it. The mids are clear like the Revels but seem to bring a sense of power. Everything just has a real feel to it with amazing texture and tone. There is texture in the bass I have only ever heard on headphones or large super speakers. The soundstage is big and stable, actually extremely stable. I hear no box or driver resonances of any kind.

Best of all even standard recording music sounds good. Old grunge, metal , 60s classics, 80s pop is good, modern computer-generated music, it all sounds good. Average recordings have dynamics that did not seem to be there before and audiophile music just explodes out of the speaker. While audio memory is short and it is impossible to know I would go as far to say this is the best speaker I have heard for my tastes in sound. I am struggling to come up with anything I dislike in the sound (now we could talk about the looks lol, and why is it so short?!?)

This is best system change I have ever made. If you have been curious about this speaker don’t wait and give it a try. If you are looking at more expensive speakers maybe give the JBL 4367 a try first and “save” some money.

james633

That’s great & what all our systems should do for us & “soothe our savage beasts”! Good quality horn loaded speakers are capable of reproducing micro & macro dynamics like few other speakers can short of really pricey ones matched w/ heroic amplification.  I’m a Volti Audio fan for similar reasons w/ similar late night sessions. 

Jonwolfpell,

Yes, I think you are correct. This is my first horn experience in my own system so I can’t say if it is horns in general or if JBL has some magic sauce on these drivers. Either way I am hooked. I realize I am in the honeymoon period but I don’t see myself going back to standard box speakers anytime soon. Anything that could bring these type of dynamics would be well out of my price range. Some of the largest wilson’s I have heard had the same impact and quality to their bass but would come up way short on the mids/highs compared to these.

the lowest octave is a little light on the 4367 so I am filling that in with subs (40hz and down) for a nice full range sound. 40hz seems to be low enough not to diminish the detail retrieval the 4367 has in the bass.

I think what is making these sound great to me is they still follow the Harman design philosophy of a slight downward sloping tuning and even off axis sound. They are very much tuned like the Revels but bring so much more in detail and dynamics with texture I have not had in my system before.

My room is also heavily treated with 7” “bass taps” at first reflection points (side and back walls) and my entire ceiling is treated with 6” of mineral wool covered with an acoustic tile. In college I started out in the headphone world and think I have a favor toward damped rooms. It seems to add a bit of clarity vs a live room. I have A/B my room with and without the treatment and much prefer it with treatment.

McIntosh MC462 (4 ohm tap). I am also high passing from a pair of JL subs right around 45hz.

I have the HF trim at -0.5db and the UHF trim at -1.0db. I find these trim settings greatly effect the sound from warm to bright if you want it. I believe the HF from is from 1.5k to 6k and the UHF trim is 5k up.