Help me upgrade my beginner system!

So I’ve been an entry-level audiophile for a while - I’ve never spent a large amount of money to put together a truly impressive system. Currently, I have the following gear:

- Elac Discovery Music Server
- Technics SL-1700 Turntable w/Pickering XSV300 cartridge
- Peachtree Nova 300 Integrated Amp
- GoldenEar BRX Bookshelf speakers
- NHT SW2P Subwoofer (w/MA-1 amp)

I also have a bunch of gear I inherited from my brother (all from the 1990s) that I will be trading in to a local stereo shop. That’s where I need help. What should I add/replace to improve on my setup? I’m not sure what I’ll get for the traded-in gear, but I suspect I’ll be able to purchase around $2 - $2.5K in new gear.

I’m personally leaning towards a DAC to improve upon the one built into the Peachtree, and maybe a good power conditioner (although I’m currently using my brother’s old Tice Elite AC Conditioner). I’m very hesitant to replace the Elac Discovery because it comes with Roon and works with both Tidal and Qobuz. Anyway, would love to get your thoughts on this!

dvujovic

I agree with @yoyoyaya regarding the cables. You do have a nice system and starting with small upgrades may make a huge difference. All of the other comments are true, too. Upgrade your cartridge, room treatments, isolation devices and cables and you may not need to spend a lot of money. Keep us posted!

OP,

If you like the Goldenear sound, them maybe look into a set of their floor standers.

All the best.

OP, you have a very nice beginner system.  Shoot, that is a worthy system of more than just beginners. 

Because you have such a decent system, I would do what others say above and just go right to the speakers. I'd upgrade the loudspeakers first and then move to upgrading other things as you see fit. 

I owned your integrated amp.  Sure there are better ones out there but it is a fine integrated--feature rich, sounds very good, etc. 

If you listen to tons of vinyl, you could start with just a dedicated phono preamp.  I took that route when I was in nearly your exact spot--based on the advice of fellow member here. It was a wonderful upgrade. But at that time, my speakers weren't begging for an upgrade.  I'm not saying yours are in necessarily in need of an upgrade...just if you are satisfied with them and you love vinyl you could get a big sonic improvement by going to a nice phono pre. 

I agree with you too on the ELAC--I'd hold steady on that guy.  Very nice product and no need to swap that out at all. 

If you are considering speakers as the potential upgrade, can you tell us a bit about what you like, your listening preferences (how loud you listen, room size, genres, etc.? 

Again, for what it's worth, I think you did a great job on that "beginner system".  I bet it sounds pretty darn good. 

Keep us posted!  I love hearing about other folks' journeys.  

New speakers!  Once you have the ones you want everything else falls into place. Speakers….

I suggest you get an inexpensive sound pressure meter and use it to help you find the speakers best location in the room

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Pressure-30-130dBA-Warranty/dp/B00ECCZWWI/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3UUB6HY1FG98H&keywords=sound%2Bpressure%2Bmeter&qid=1682342339&sprefix=sound%2Bpress%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-6&th=1

bottom thread for tripod.

Place it on a tripod at your primary listening position, seated ear level height.

Next, a CD with individual test tones, i.e.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7290000-Various-Amazing-Bytes

tracks 9-38

you can find a less costly one, as long as it has individual tracks.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Toe-In

I use two toe-in setups

1. single listener: both speakers aimed directly at your spot.

2. listening with a friend: small table in the middle. aim left speaker at right chair; aim right speaker at left chair. that will produce very decent imaging because:

each person get’s more volume from the closer speaker his side, and more/somewhat equal from the direct dispersion on the opposite side.

so, moving the speakers when a friend comes must be easy. My speakers are quite heavy (over 100lbs each), I use 3 wheels (more weight per wheel, and 3 won’t wobble, no leveling needed) (2 front/1 rear, furniture type: dual wheel/tight axle. They move, and they stay put.

Lighter speakers, use slip material (smooth for carpet or fuzzy stuff on smooth floors. Cut size of skid plates relative to the speakers weight. Just enough that they move, then don’t move.

Note: using 3 wheels/skid plates, only 1 in the back: you need a method of preventing them from falling. Flat bottomed JSE’s, I used rear corner blocks, just above the floor normally, but touch the floor if speakers start to tilt. Current speakers, I have a skirt concealing the wheels which prevents tipping.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Tweeters aimed directly at seated ear level. If needed: Add a block/strip horizontally across the front edge to tilt them back. Not only direct dispersion of tweeter, but it alters the angles of reflection off the floor, ceiling, side and rear walls.

A photo of my speakers innards, front ’lift’ block, and 3 wheels is seen here:

https://www.audiogon.com/systems/9511

You need to click on top right 'full screen' box to see the bottom of images and captions