My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

@simao 

I haven't yet, but I will.

Thanks  for the suggestion.

(it goes against the grain, but I might even consult the owner's manual)

@simao 

See my post from yesterday- it is the same recommendation that you received from Oppo. I haven’t used Tidal on an Oppo in some time and remember it becoming more clunky as Tidal’s services changed (Oppo app never changed with it).

If you’re seeing a difference in sound quality (using the Oppo as a renderer) it would be based on your local network. Wi-Fi should work well but if spotty try running CAT from your router/mesh/extender directly to the Oppo itself.

@designsfx  yes. I do appreciate the advice. You gave it after I had emailed Oppo and I am happy they said the same thing. I don't really see a sound difference at all. I was just unclear as to how that interface worked. Nothing spotty. And through the Denafrips it sounds really really good. I'm kind of new on the digital scene haven't used just the Oppo for years along with my analog rig so the Custom Tailoring of DACs is a learning curve for me

If it's any consolation, my 205 suddenly stopped working except for the CD tray. Tried all the steps recommended in the responses. I left it unplugged overnight and when I plugged it back in all worked. Makes no sense and may not be the same for you... But thought I'd inject some possible good news.

I've had an Oppo 105 ever since it came out.  It has gotten heavy use m mostly as a transport in the past several years.  It occasionally hangs up and does something weird.  Unplugging it and restarting it 30 seconds later has always cured every hiccup.  I also have a 203, which I bought as insurance if the 105 ever plonks out.  I put it in a secondary system and remind my self to use it once a week to keep it spry, but the 105 is going strong