Considering A 20-40 Watt Stereo SET Amp

I just got over a 16 day illness (not Covid) where it was touch and go for a few days. I am thinking of rewarding myself with a 20-40 watt stereo SET amp. The speakers I will use are a pair of the new JBL L100 Classic speakers that I bought at the end of 2020. The speakers are rated at 4 ohms @90db sensitivity.

Presently, I am using a McIntosh integrated and I do not listen loud. The meters on the Mac usually sit between .20 and 2 watts at its loudest. I have not started looking yet but I do know I want something with 1 pair of outputs so I can use my SVS powered subwoofer with it. I would also need 3 high level inputs. I don’t want to break the bank as this would be a secondary amp to put into rotation as the mood strikes me.

I do not want a flea powered amp so it has to be 20-40 watts and under 4 grand new. Used would be even better. I am hoping I can be steered in the right direction so I can start my research. I do not want to have to buy other components to accommodate the amp. Source components are a McIntosh SACD player, McIntosh FM tuner and a Sony HAP-Z1ES music player. Nordost interconnects and Canare speaker cables, Shunyata power cords and a Furutech power conditioner round out the system. The amp must be stereo, no monoblocks please. 99% of my listening will be through my Mac FM tuner. The system is also on its own dedicated 20-amp circuit.

128x128stereo5

You may want to check out Audio Mirror’s 45w SET monoblocks. Not a conventional SET, as it uses a pair of 6C33Cs wired in parallel, but has lots of power. I think there was a review in The Abscolute Sound. Hope this helps.

The mono blocks sound like a good idea. 

Can be paired with a tube pre with variable outs for subs. 

Although it might sound schiity....

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-n

@stereo5 

At $3k, I highly recommend the Willsenton R800i. It’s 45w SET.  To get this power it has a massive transformer and weighs a ton. It has 3 inputs, remote, VU meters —not to mention it sounds lovely and robust. 

Thanks @jjss49 !

I should note that the Willsenton is a Chinese made amp. It is reportedly made in the same factory as line magnetic. The product is very similar. They also reportedly have service centers here that can work on it, but I have not had the need.

it’s a wonderful amp. It has an interesting and effective tube compliment. 805 power tubes fed by 300b, 6sn7. While I haven’t tested it with lots of loudspeakers, it is very powerful. It is well made and 100lbs. I like the aesthetic more than Primaluna, which I also owned.

As summer approaches, I’ll move it out for Class D. At that time I will open it up, bleed out any current in the caps, and assess the internal quality.

The midrange on this amp is spooky clear and insightful.

Downsides are only: unknown, if not questionable, support and service, and weight. It is 100lbs.

I also am of the opinion that this is a statement amp and that the company is not likely making strong margins Sure that lets buyers get something amazing at a low price, but that’s not a good long term business model and can actually hurt the customers. You can email support and they respond in a day—yet it’s a far cry from say Audio Research support and service.