Volti Experience !

Good morning everyone, I hope this finds you well.

I wanted to post on my experience taking delivery of my new Volti Razz. Ordered them in walnut with the premium black textured cloth. I was not expecting such an awesome experience picking them up. I arranged with Greg of Volti to come down to his shop and receive my speakers instead of have them shipped. Yes it saved me a few clams, however on retrospect, I think my true motivation was the 8 hour drive through beautiful OH, KY and TN, as well as meeting the creator/master builder and seeing his impressive workshop. What I got was that and so much more. Greg and his wife were incredible, they were amazingly generous hosts, engaging, fun, and clearly a devoted couple. Great Mexican food was followed by an extended listening session well into the night. I got a chance to listen to the Razz as well as some not yet released gear. And let me tell you, it blew my socks off... All of it!!!. There is surely a Volti House Sound. regardless of what speaker we were listening to, it's there. Greg is equal parts mad inventor, super cool guy, music lover and car nut. I think the man's mind is constantly engaged.. thinking, planning and working on speaker design. (when he's not blasting down epic county roads in his convertible).

If you are in the market, run, don't amble towards any of the Volti speakers. And if you are fortunate you will come home with not only world beating speakers to cherish for the rest of your life, you may also have a lifelong memory of the experience. 

I have literally had mine set up in house for only two days. What money and time I have invested simply doesn't matter. I have found my HFI, musical nirvana. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

Great story & congratulations!

I’ve had my New Volti Rivals for just over a year & couldn’t be happier! I literally crack up during every listening session in amazement hearing so much music I really enjoy in the way I think the artists intended it to be heard. 

I’ve had several very nice speakers & systems over 40+ years but nothing approached my current one in terms of sounding like live music vs good “ hifi”. The big, open, spacious & ultra dynamic sound is amazing & anything but harsh or fatiguing that so many associate w/ horn based speakers. I think it’s a combo of design, driver & crossover quality & excellent but relatively simple cabinetry that gets out of the way & just lets the music flow. At virtually any volume sounds excellent.

I have a large room (23’ x 25’ x cathedral ceiling peaking at 12’) & enjoy loud volumes at times for good rock music so I went w/ a pretty powerful high integrated amp, the Rogers High Fidelity EHF 200 Mark II. It’s another, handmade , high quality American product also built by a true artisan, Roger Gibboni in MA. 

I am happy to use my hard earned dollars & pay for quality which I definitely got in the excellent Volti Rivals & the amp. Both are highly recommended! 

@doyle3433 I assumed you had tubes and I assume for these to sound their best they would need tube power. I wonder how these would sound with a Primaluna EVO 400 power amp? In the Stereophile review of these they measured a lower sensitivity of 93 dB instead of 97 but that’s still pretty efficient. Can’t wait to hear them again. I would love to get the Rivals but I think it’s more speaker than what I need.

@jonwolfpell Sounds like a great system, I'm sure that's an excellent sounding combination. I know the Rivals are more efficient than the RAZZ but do you think a 35-watt tube amp would be sufficient for these speakers for someone who listens to moderate listening levels? Also have you ever heard these speakers with solid state amplification?

Never liked the sound that I've heard at numerous shows.....There are ALOT of excellent sounding speakers in that price range Today. Just my opinion...Enjoy your new speakers.

@riaa_award_collectors_on_facebook We listened to a pair of RAZZ in the red gum, made without the grills and finished front baffle. Wow they are simply beautiful. 

@willywonka I would think the PL400 would sound fantastic. Sterophile review and Greg's comments too. 

@jonwolfpell I completely agree with you. In my opinion they are worth every penny. In only a short time, the thought of how much they cost will fade from memory. What I feel we all get from music and this hobby can't have a price tag. 

Willy - I think a good 35 watts will easily drive the Rivals for all but the loudest levels in a big room. I think Stereophile measured them to be 98 db sensitive but I also think that can be misleading in & of itself. The watt meter on my Rogers amp displays the average power for both channels combined at any one instant & up really loud w/ a big bass peak demand, the Rivals are drawing about 50 watts or 25 watts / channel. At this volume, many speakers driven hard by realistically priced & sized amps (maybe & arbitrarily less than $20K & 100 lbs.??) are being pushed to their limit  & strain to do so. Of course, my categorization is all relative. My investment in my system is absurdly high to many & barely scratches the surface to some others.

The Rivals w/ the Rogers are just strolling along @ almost any volume (although the Rogers operates in full class A so it's not really) & sound great doing so but you get the point. I almost bought a Prima Luna but once I found the Rogers, talked to Roger @ great length & demo'ed it in my home, I was completely sold. That said, the Prima Luna will probably also sound excellent w/ the any Volti speaker.