Thinking of Magnepan ... finally!

Until recently, most of my amps have been tube-based with the exception of a few great SS integrateds thrown into the mix for fun. That's probably the main reason I have stayed away from Magnepans (or other speakers of its ilk) thus far. Now that I have an Aavik U-280 integrated amp that can do 300 watts @ 8 ohms and doubles to 600 @ 4, I would love to scratch that itch finally. Keep in mind that I do not intend to get rid of my other speakers (Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene, Harbeth SHL5+, Fritz Carrera BE) since I love them all for different reasons. The Magnepans will be rotated in the main listening room with Joseph Audio Perspectives. One thing I like about Maggies is that they are relatively lightweight so I can move them to the closet without breaking my back when not in rotation.

Since I've never owned Magnepans before, I have a ton of questions and doubts. So here we go ...

Bass (or the lack thereof) -- I've been told that the Magnepans are very light on bass and definitely require at least on subwoofer. Is this true in all cases? Anyone using them without subs and happy with the performance? TBH, I really would prefer that I don't use subs but not set in stone for sure.

Breathing Room -- my room is 20' x 15' with 12 foot ceilings. The speakers will be placed along the short wall (15'). I can pull them out by about 4.5 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the side walls. Seating distance will be approximately 8 - 9 feet. Is this good enough or do you think more distance, especially from the front wall, is required to truly enjoy the speakers?

Mods -- I've also heard that the stock components (crossovers, fuses, etc.) and stands are suboptimal. Is this true? If so, what are the minimum requirements to bring the speaker to a higher standard and at what cost? 

Value -- For someone who is just starting out with Maggies, which model is a good entry point? I know that LRS+ is a good value, but my other speakers are very very good, so I want to do justice to the Maggies as well. But at the same time I don't want to spend more than I need to. Where do you think the sweet spot lies, i.e. which model(s)? I will be looking for used only since I've already spent way too much on other speakers.

Imaging -- I've also been told that imaging on Maggies is not that great. I have never heard Maggies before so I have no idea if this assertion is true or not. Your thoughts?

And finally, I want to hear from folks who love their Maggies. What is that you love most about the speakers? What qualities do they bring to the table that no other speaker does? Are there magnetic planar speakers from other brands that I should also be considering? Keep in mind they have to be readily available in the used market. So please don't suggest something that doesn't meet this requirement.

However, to bring some balance to the feedback, I would also love to hear from those who tried Magnepans and moved on to something else. Why? What was it that you didn't like about them? What did you move on to?

Thanks in advance and a sincere request: Please keep it civil ... no need for haters of Magnepan to use this as an opportunity to diss the brand.

128x128arafiq

-- i versions imo add a noticeable degree of warmth and weight to the sound that my ears very much appreciate

@jjss49 How big would you say the difference in bass is between the 3.7 and 3.7i?

@swede58

there is a subtle but definitely noticeable difference as i heard them ... non i sounds leaner through lower register of piano and male voice... mostly in the midbass/upper bass is the impression i get -- both are limited in true bottom octave - but the i has more ’bloom’ around bowed or plucked acoustic bass for instance

but not so much that amp choice, sub support and placement cannot bridge the tonal gap between the two i believe

@arafiq

knowing you through this forum, i would definitely start with 1.7i over 3.7i you can always go to 3.7i later if you fall in love with what maggies do -- 1.7i much less expensive, less imposing in the room, and if you get light colored cloth they are quite ’architectural’ and some think even pretty standing there - 1.7i set up right driven right will definitely give you the true maggie excellence and sonic experience from which to assess next steps (if any) - but be sure to have at least one rel sub to support the bottom end

As enticing as the 3.7 model is, I feel it’s prudent to stick with 1.7i for now. I have no doubt that the 3.7 is possibly the sweet spot in the Magnepan lineup. But considering that I’m only trying to explore the Magnepan sound signature at this time without a serious $$ commitment, 1.7 is the more suitable entry point for me. If I like what I hear, and knowing myself, I have no doubt that I will be moving up the chain soon after.

I’ve loved Maggies since the first time I heard the Tympani T-I in 1972. I bought a pair that year, bi-amping them with ARC amplifiers. I later owned a pair of T-Id’s, and now have T-IVa’s (using a First Watt B4 crossover in place of the stock one).

I have heard the MG1.7’s and didn’t think much of them. I compared that model with the Eminent Technology LFT-8b (like the Maggies a planar-magnetic, but with a dynamic driver for 180Hz down), which I found to be considerably more to my liking (I bought a pair). Some guys prefer the LFT-8b ($3200/pr) to the MG3.7i ($8000/pr), which I have not heard. Speaking of the 3.7i, here is a video made by Danny Richie of GR Research regarding a pair of that model sent to him for evaluation and possible upgrading:

https://youtu.be/_bpDP0jxj4k

Even if you don’t agree with Danny’s opinions of the 3.7i, and the "fixes" he designed for it, the video should be of interest to anyone considering a Maggie purchase. I just checked the video post, and it is for some reason starting about 2/3rd’s of the way through it. Just click on the far left end of the red line and the video will play from the beginning. The comments in response to the video are also worth reading.

A few things from a many Maggies owner since 1977:

There is a conspiracy in White Bear Lake MN. Audio Research guys collaborate with Magnapan guys in the depths of winter when there's nothing left to do. therefore; one must drive a Maggie with a pair of  ARC tube amps. It's the alchemists law. :)

Maggies will bend your perception of sound. Maybe literally- they are so very different that there aren't words. You will either love them or be selling them in a few months. 

If you like acoustic music there is a transcendental event as you listen to it on a properly placed set of Maggies. If you like to rock out with your socks out buy something else. They don't have the capability to replicate the big speaker distortion gear Uncle Ted or Neil Young like to play through.  If you want to use them for home theater you will be sorely disappointed. 

A properly treated listening room, proper placement with TUBE amplification and lots of watts in reserve will change your HiFi arc. For the better. Every time. 

One last thing:  Try them at home before you buy them. A good retailer will allow a qualified buyer to do this, Also, treat your retailer right. He needs to make a fair profit on them so he can bring you the atelier services you are seeking. Don't be a dick and wring him out then shop for used ones. That's manifestly selfish and unfair. Moreover it will help eliminate retailers who in this hobby are essential. (no I'm not a dealer or broker. Just a realist) We are loosing the great enthusiast old school retailers. They are going broke while selling some of the best knowledge, experience and  gear out there. Support them.