Vibration isolation or absorption?

You see those pointy things at the bottom of a speaker that are very very sharp.  Arguably a weapon in the wrong hands.  And then you see those same pointy things inserted into a disk.

So the pointy things, aka ‘spikes’ , can Channel vibration elsewhere and away from the components and speakers, or they can isolate it.

Seems channeling vibration away from a component/ speaker, which I guess is absorption, is preferable.

Is this true? And why do they keep saying isolation.

emergingsoul

It’s amazing how that if a bunch of people believe that it’s not true then I guess it’s not true??? !! When I first came on this forum, I got into it with millercarbon about this exact same thing. Except I couldn’t explain it as good as the fellow above. He really did a good job explaining how it all works. Somewhere inside of me I knew it didn’t work from my sixth grade science class. I wonder how much other stuff in audio that everybody thinks is truth will turn out to be false in a future ?   I guess I better sell my stock in still points.

@emergingsoul 

Last year I broke down and bought two sets of Isoacoustics Gaia Ones for my KEF, Reference Five speakers and the difference between the spikes and the Gaia’s was night and day spectacular.  I put some pucks from the same company under my DAC and heard nothing.  I put some pucks from the same company under my amp and maybe I heard a difference.  

So much information herein.

I had come to believe that vibration that contaminates a drivers performance is not good. So if you’re speaker cabinet is vibrating and detrimentally impacts the drivers it makes sense this is not a good thing. So don’t you want to draw that vibration away and channel it somehow into a bottomless pit. Shouldn’t the pointy things, aKA spikes, funnel the vibration onto A disc pucky thing that will make the vibration go away.

Why would you want to isolate vibration and have a rebound back-and-forth all over the place within a speaker, or component?

I’m not sure that simple concept is discussed anywhere herein that I saw.

Many engineers, supposedly the arch enemies of audiophiles, identify springs as the best form of vibration control. I use springs exclusively on amps, CD players etc with good effect but have yet to find springs to use on speakers as they render floorstanders unstable.

I thought all the internal bracing and rigidness of the speaker cabinets was supposed to be vibration Control.  And now you need to do something additional outside of the speaker cabinet Beyond the feet?  Isn't this kind of redundant.

If you put vibration Devices at the base of your speakers, are you honestly telling me you can hear the difference?