Are audiophile products designed to initially impress then fatigue to make you upgrade?

If not why are many hardly using the systems they assembled, why are so many upgrading fairly new gear that’s fully working? Seems to me many are designed to impress reviewers, show-goers, short-term listeners, and on the sales floor but once in a home system, in the long run, they fatigue users fail to engage and make you feel something is missing so back you go with piles of cash.

128x128johnk

This is audio conspiracy theory to the max. The thought that well known audio manufactures' business model is to fool their customers so that they will buy a product they won't like and have to trade up sooner is borderline paranoia. THE PROBLEM: is that a vast number of audio buyers, even high end buyers, don't know how to listen or know what to listen for or just don't know their audio tastes so they end up making mistakes. That's not the manufacturers fault. 

@johnk

I have no such issues I DIY most all my gear or I buy from very well-respected knowledgeable builders. But I do see you types living what I posted constant gear changes many complaints of not using systems or of listening fatigue. .... Why I posted what I did. 

I think we've all been set up😉

Are audiophile products designed to initially impress then fatigue to make you upgrade?

@nonoise

No. Every manufacturer makes what they think you'll like based on their observations of you (the public).

+1

So who is really to blame? I would suggest the consumer is just as guilty as the mfg'r. We go into an audition listening in critical mode and that's what we get.

To make a gross generalization, delta sigma dac to impress for critical / short term listening and NOS dac for musical enjoyment / long term listening.

To put things in perspective, McIntosh 275 amp got an "A" in Stereophile some 40+ years later. So how far have we really come?

@ghdprentice

Inexpensive audio equipment can be fatiguing… those built to minimize cost of parts.. . . .Systems designed to reproduce music tend to be pretty expensive.

Some good points made in your posts. But I would like to suggest it IS possible to get musical, non fatiguing sound for a low price if you know what to look for and can accept some compromises.

@cdc

So who is really to blame?

The two channel format sucks. This is why six figure speakers and components exist, to try and repair the damage. This is why there is a "sweet spot", because all the other spots in the room are horrible. Go immersive like I did, problem solved. You get a new problem though, you like listening so much the sessions get longer than planned.👌