Simaudio 340 i hard to beat for the $$

I have a bit of a dilemma in that I’m having a hard time moving from my Simaudio 340 i. I absolutely love this integrated except I wish the sound stage was wider. I was considering getting a 600 i but after extensive research people are saying 600 is not like the 340 and I see a lot of people sell the 600. Owners of the 600 I told me they were disappointed in the unit. For some reason the 340 i is unique to the Simaudio line up. I was interested in the Luxman 550 MK2 but after speaking to a Sonus Faber dealer with good knowledge of the brand he believes that class A will not have the dynamics required to drive my speakers as Sonus Faber are known to be power hungry. He suggested staying with class A/B. I had a class A tube amplifier and yes, I agree it was lacking the punch of the 340. My problem is my budget in the used market for a solution is $5-6000. Current setup is:

Sonus Faber Minima Amator 2

Lumin U1 mini with SBooster

Denafrips Venus 2

Simaudio 340 i

I’m looking for something laid back, detailed, smooth and punchy like the 340 but with a bigger soundstage. Does it even exist at 5/6 k (CAN BTW)

I’ve had Hegel 390/360 and it didn’t impress me.

Accuphase E370? Luxman 507?

128x128dman1974

@jeffstrick 

Hi Jeff, what would be your recommendation for scaling up the sound stage? I’d be interested to hear your advice.

@winoguy17 

I do believe the room is a limiting factor, yes. But since I can’t change that what would be another way? I’m pretty sure even in the perfect room that one set up over another could sound bigger or smaller, deeper ect. 

I’ve also heard this set up in a friend’s place and then with 10 k pre amplifier and the difference is noticeable. So noticeable that it’s hard to unhear. I’m not saying I’m in the market for a 20 k upgrade here but there has to be an integrated amp that’s capable to produce a bigger sound stage.

@ghdprentice 

Thats pretty insightful and refreshing.

You are probably right, significant spend to get to the next level. I considered the INT 25 but that might also be a sideways move.

@overthemoon 

It’s actually incredible how much value is in this 340. I do agree the 600 is better but only marginal but and big jump in price. I have a friend with some Audio Research gear so maybe it’s time to beg him to bring over for a demo. I’ve heard great things about pairing Audio Research with Sonus Faber.

I’m considering upgrading my M400 amplifiers to the 860av2 and frankly it’s because of the upgrade program. 

I have Moon and Sonus faber and if cost was no object it would be ARC.