Are you interested in the new generation of "old school" design loudspeakers?

So is Danny Richie of GR Research. Though known for his open baffle loudspeaker and subwoofer designs, as well as narrow baffle sealed loudspeakers, Danny has received in for analysis and possible upgrades a number of the new "old school" design loudspeakers that have been recently introduced by the likes of KLH. Being a good businessman, he obviously realized he could offer his own version of such a design, free of the "problems" he found in those of others.

In this 30 minute video Danny discusses the design of his newest offering: the "Brute". Even if you’re not interested in this specific topic, you may find the video of value in general loudspeaker terms. He has made many other videos, all addressing either a specific topic, or a specific loudspeaker. There are easy to find: Go onto YouTube and do a search for GR Research.

To dispel any suspicions, no, I am in no way affiliated with Danny Richie and/or GR Research, other than being a very satisfied customer.

128x128bdp24

@nonoise reminds me of the old JBLs that are refurbished by KenRick Sounds in Japan (they have a YouTube channel).

Ah yes, a channel I use to watch quite often after it was started. l will have to revisit it for sure. Could not have imagined even just a few years ago watching Kenrick’s stuff, now we’d see people brining back some of these monster creations. About four years ago I helped on a local design/build of three pairs of Onken Altec speaker creations (JP influence too). Got a chance to hear final results. Was nice.

For whatever reason always preferred this wider front with shallow depth featured here on this Stratton Acoustic. For me, its just inspiring to look at these photos. Absolutely dig this type of stuff. Yet again, I’m an old speaker nerd. If I had a place large enough, i’d get a pair, just sit and listen! Sure fun to look at. Total throwback!

@decooney 

Agreed, and then some. If I only had the space and the money, I'd be one happy camper.

All the best,
Nonoise

My speakers are big 3-way "bookshelf" speakers, similar in style/size to the Brute. They are the now 40+ year old Infinity RS-1.5. I came to them after having a series of much more expensive and more modern speakers. I paid $264 for the Infinitys about 5 years ago and haven't had a desire to replace them. They are just so easy to listen to, a truely musical speaker. So nice, so easy. 

I'm thinking about upgrading my turntable. Would it be weird to be using a 40+ year old speaker, that cost $264, with a new, modern turntable that cost $4000+?  I hope so. I like weird...