Stereo or monoblocks

I recently bought a pair of the JBL HDI-3800 speakers. I also own a McIntosh C-2300 preamp. Should I buy a used McIntosh mc402 stereo power amp or try to find a pair of a different brands monoblocks? The new Schiit Tyr has my interest.

128x128thbullard3

@ rbrantlysteele

One per speaker. A mono block is the same as stereo only each amp is on a single chassis. One for right and one for left. Many moons ago before stereo you only needed one amp and one speaker. When stereo came out you needed two speakers and two amps. Hence the stereo amp. I don’t know when the mono amp was coined mono block?

It really depends on the designer/builder and your budget. For example the better stereo amps are "split down the middle" designs- isolated R &L channel amps on one chassis and often with separate transformers. Cheaper stereo amps share power supplies, caps, etc. 

I have a buddy with no budget at all and he has  4 monoblocks. I can't really hear the difference at all. He can't either. He just likes the cool factor. 

ARC's Reference line of stereo amps is so good you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference between them and their monoblocks. 

Put another way there is a law of diminishing returns.  80% more money for 20% more improvement - but over what baseline? If your quality baseline is already a 9 out of 10 $50,000+ more for monoblocks is just tinkering and geeking out- not really a transformative action.  

FWIW I wouldn't use a non-Mac upgrade if you're into the Mac sound. You could change the personality of the system and not for the better. Demo at home before you buy ALWAYS.

Stereo or Mono, it does not matter other than it is easier to physically move the mono amps And the mono amps can be placed nearer the speakers. I am the owner of Quicksilver, PrimaLuna(stereo/mono) and Bedini(stereo) amps. Some amps are only available in mono or stereo. Just listen to the amps. Then choose!

I get enjoyment out of either of my main system amps-custom 125W tube monoblocks Class A/B 6 or 8db of global feedback and 70W tube EAR 890 stereo amp Class A zero global feedback.  My best friend has an RM9 stereo Class A/B amp which sounds great as well.  I wouldn't choose one type over another on the basis of mono or stereo construction as there is so much more involved just as I wouldn't choose a DAC based on it's DtoA converter chip.  

Has anyone mentioned the little bit about monoblocs allowing you to get the amps (much) closer to the speakers? For some, a not unimportant consideration.