Bose 901 VI flat?

I purchased a pair of Bose 901 VI speakers recently and a new Sony STRDH190 receiver.  I have wanted these speakers for years and finally got them.  Problem is, they sound flat and weaker than expected.  I adjusted the bass and treble to my liking but that only helped a little.  I have the Bose EQ that came with the speakers but i'm not using it due to new receiver technology.  Am i doing something wrong? I know these are great speakers with a great history.  

jonicurn

@jwillox he just signed up.

This is the place where B&O and Bose and Beat questions go to die

(and nothing wrong with it, it's like asking the difference between breast and fly on swimswam)

I had a pair of series II from new into the 90's when the Bose 500 watt "arc welder" Amp shorted for the second time and took out 1 amp channel and all 9 drivers on that side.  Sorry but back in the day the bass was way bigger than roomy's L100s, probably not as accurate/tight.

I now use the remaining one as the rear surround in a 7.1 HT.  I use the Atmos level amp to simulate the EQ with the room correction...works pretty well spreading the ok sound on the back wall.  One of the pedestals support my stand alone reference headphone system.  Agreed they need a lot of omph!