Good speakers for Parasound Halo JC1

I have all Parasound Halo electronics — JC1 amps, JC2 BP preamp, JC3 Phono amp, and CD1 CD player — and love them all.  Wonderful detail but plenty of bottom end.

My speakers are Usher MD2 — nice sound, respectable speakers but I’m ready to take the plunge and move up.

I’m headed to AXPONA in a few weeks and want to audition potential replacement speakers. I’d be interested to hear what speakers you’ve heard that are awesome matches for the JC1s. My room is mid-size that will accommodate decent size but not huge boxes. 

Thanks all.

Mikempls 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmikempls

mike, I owned Duntech Princess speakers for 19 years.  Over that time I tried several amps, tube and SS.  The best match which I ended up with was a pair of JC-1s.  Duntechs have not been imported to the US for many years but the hint from those were their Dynaudio woofers and tweeters.  Current Dynaudio could be candidates.

As others suggested, the JC-1s will drive almost any speakers, so they are not the limiting factor.  Instead I would look for the speaker model which most appealed to me and go with that.

One caution with that suggestion.  A later speaker I ended up with was the Janszen zA2.1 (currently the Valentina P8).  They never sounded better with any other amp, but were recommended not to exceed 200 wpc while the JC-1 is rated at 800 wpc into 4 ohms.  I never had a problem but was always cautious about the combination.  With a different system I blew out the woofers with an accidental DC pulse so that made me more careful.  So I would look for speakers that can accept the power of the Parasounds.

Thanks, Ron. I’ve added Rockports to my list to audition at AXPONA. I’ve read about them before and they get rave reviews. Thanks again — appreciate your comments on the FR30s too.

@mikempls There will be multiple rooms with rockport speakers this year. i think at least two with the atria II and one with Cygnus. i owned the Atria II for two years and loved them.  I paired them with 2 jl f100v2 subs to great results. i just upgraded to the Cygnus my endgame speaker. My room is only 17 x15 but they sound great in the room. 

OP since you didn't mention what your cabling and PLC are...? I replaced mine  about 6 months ago and was shocked at the improvement over pretty expensive Wire World series 8 speaker cables and interconnects

I replaced them with Odin 2 knockoffs from DIY HiFi Store in China at a fraction the the cost of the WW s

hth