What is the VERY BEST CD album you've ever heard?

Just like with records, I came across releases on CD that were never popular, but bring lots of interesting music and so I started collecting CDs that do have collectible value for the reason of a great and rare music presented.

So far album "Sauce Hollandaise" by Ashra is on my #1 desirable list

"Best Band You've Never Heard In Your Life" by Frank Zappa is my 2nd best CD I've ever heard. 

czarivey

guessing yor're asking about obscure good albums ..

Leafhound 'Growers of Mushroom' -- elements of Grand Funk, Deep Purple James Gang rolled into one.

Szobel 'Szobel' elements of a Zappa fusion album. He was Bill Grahams nephew, so he got an album deal, was high strung about recognition, so disappeared after recording this.

Layla Revisited - Live at Lockn'     Tedeschi Trucks Band

Delivers on the potential of the original  Layla.  Recorded live, the music and sound are first rate.

I Am the Moon     Tedeschi Trucks Band

Tedeschi Trucks own take on the story of Layla and Manjun. Great classic rock recorded in the studio.

Fitting category of pop band to Beatles is simple because they are pop somewhere above 90% of their career. We can call it pop-rock as well that will match even better.

There are bands that very hard to fit into any category, but the're obscure and rare and definitely not Beatles or any RR hall of fame artists. 

Maybe good example of Goz of Kermeur. Their self-titled album I think is third on my list.

A 1990 CD by the Music & Arts label called Glenn Gould - Previously Unreleased Performances of Works by J.S. Bach, 1957-1969.
This is a tough CD to find. I lucked out. It’s on YouTube. There’s also a live performance on YouTube of his unbelievable performance/conducting of Cantata No. 54.

It’s a favorite because it’s so hard to find, is not available in any media other than YouTube and contains such incredible music.

There is a version of the Soundtrack to David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive on multiple formats (the vinyl pressing goes for $400-$700 presently on Discogs) but the CD is great if for the sole reason it a) doesn’t cost $500, and b) has Rebekah Del Rio’s performance of “Llorando” (an a cappella Spanish version of Roy Orbison’s ‘Crying’) which may be the greatest vocal performance I’ve ever heard.

A lot of Todd Garfinkle's MA Recordings qualify. Off-beat international music minimally miked in carefully selected, acoustically lively locales.