Choosing new cables

I am looking to upgrade my current cables.  This should be my last system as I retired a few years ago and most of my components have been seriously updated in the last couple of years.  I have been in this audio hobby for about 50 years and have always have great sounding musical systems.

My current cables all work and sound great but are 15 - 20 years old.  So updating is what I need.  I am budgeting around $10k - $15k for all new cables.

I have always felt the i/c's were the most important cable followed by the speaker cables and the power cords.  However I am now leaning towards spending more on the power cords followed by the speaker cables and last the i/c.

I know all cables are very important but how would you prioritize the cables?  Any suggestions on any brands would also be appreciated!

bobheinatz

Obviously some of the responders to your post have a favorite cable brand and a route to your cable quest. I really, really encourage you to contact the cable company (like a couple of other goners have recommended). John Pharo at the Cable Company is really a goldmine when it comes to recommending cables with your specific equipment. Also take your time to listen to a few different brands and have fun with your quest. When I recently auditioned some new IC's  I had some buddies come over and listen with me to different IC's. (NO ALCOHOL)!!!! One of them heard things way before I was able to detect them in the music used for auditioning so friends help!  

Enjoy the journey!

If I would be on the market for a new speakers, I would be contemplating Dynaudio Heritage. I'd bet that 866 can drive them with ease and grace. Great system you have there. Artisan Fidelity makes great turntable conversions. I am wondering about your tonearm and cartridge. At your system's level, 301 would be best adored by Glantz tonearm and any Koetsu... Vintage looks to offset 866, but nothing vintage about the sound.

I have an interesting observation to report. At a certain point, all my cables were Nordost Heimdall 2. I upgraded two power cords to Frey 2 (wall to Walker Velocitor and from Velocitor to my amp). Early last year, I tested speakers cables, Heimdall 2 vs Frey 2 vs Tyr 2. Frey 2 was my choice - based on the sound signature, better said lack of it. They were better than Tyr 2 in my system - that difference is best described as more transparency, Tyr 2 had maybe a bit more speed and impact, but it was also audibly darker than Frey 2. 

So, it was not about the price, quality, design etc., it was all about loading - or synergy - between amplifier, cables and speakers. Design is basically the same, and just a small difference in specs made Frey 2 speaker cable stand out by making my amp and speakers happier than with Heimdall 2 or Tyr 2. 

As your system is quite a bit above mine, I would suggest to try and listen in your system complete loom of Nordost Valhalla 2. IMHO would be appropriate level of an upgrade for your system. "H" is for "honest", not "humble".

Bato1965,

Thanks for your reply.   For you info the Boulder 866 is a incredibly musical amp.  That's coming from 40+ years as a tube discipline. Yes it does control the Dynaudios very well.  In addition I do have a Koetsu Rosewood Signature on a Schroeder arm.  Btw I never thought I would enjoy digital as much as I do now.