Brand New Vinyl Static and Pops

Nothing major, but annoying.

Could it be because I was spinning old dirty vinyl which made the platter dirty/dusty?

I'm about to buy the humminguru. Does anything go well with it?

128x128jjbeason14

I wouldn't argue that from a perfectionist point of view it is not a good idea to clean "new" LPs, but I do play new LPs right out of the jacket without cleaning them, very often, and I cannot recall a problem due to dirt (ticks and pops).  Sure, some are warped and some are off center and some are both warped and off center, but not dirty enough to cause mistracking or ticks/pops.  Just my personal experience.

@lewm I noted lots of modern pressings aren't that quiet and sometimes reveal surface noise and even deep warps.

I often find new records that are dirty right out the jacket especially if they have paper sleeves. Always clean a new record as most have a film on them that cleaning will remove. Never blow the visible debris off your record with air from your mouth as this will leave minute particles of moisture that will harden and cause problems. And do not forget to keep your turntable platter or mat clean so that dust or debris is not transferred to your records especially if you use a record clamp.

New vinyl is a crapshoot. That makes me buy CDs but mainly stream on Qobuz. Only bought two vinyl this year. By now I would have bought at least 20 in previous years. Nothing like moving on up with the times.

You wanted 2 cents? Here is mine. I ultrasonic clean new (manufacturing particles ARE in the grooves. I can hear the difference) and used. If you don’t have an ultrasonic then devise some kind of system of cleaning that leaves a minimum of residue so you can hear what’s in the grooves accurately. Finally, and I know some members will freak, but I clean my stylus after each side of play by lightly dragging a thin strip of magic eraser across it. That dislodges accumulated gunk. I then lightly wipe it with the Onzow zero dust stylus cleaner. I know it sounds like a lot. Some here will dismiss both. I wouldn’t do it if you have shakey hands or god forbid, been drinking or other mischievous behavior. Everybody on here has an opinion. Use your own judgement. This is what I have found consistently works for ME. But I have approximately 900 LPs that I play regularly. I rarely hear clicks and pops using a Microreach stylus on my cartridge. The few LPs that skip were bought used and had legit flaws. Take  care of your LPs and stylus and they will take care of you.