CLASS A POWER RATINGS

In well designed SS class A power amps I was told that although power could increase to double in class AB mode from speaker demands of  8 ohms to 4 ohms, class A suffered to be cut in half.

For example a class A denominated amp rated at 50 watts class A into 8 ohms would double to 100 watts class AB  into a 4 ohm load but only have 25 watts of class A power before switching to class AB.

But I've noticed of late claims of manufacturers stating their amps double their class A power as impedance demands are halved.

So is the explanation that technology has advanced ?

rost

This is a very good thread, but just to clarify; Class A is a single-ended amplifier. Push-pull is class A/B (even though it is often described as class A). Do I understand it correctly?

@sngreen 

By default SET/SEP  is 100% pure class A operation. But as has been pointed out above,  you can have pure class A push pull amplifiers that do not utilize any class B operation.

Charles

@yyzsantabarbara 

I read the specs.  The amp runs in Class B and has a circuit that senses when there is a peak in the programme.  It then puts the amp into Class A before the moment of the peak, so it can be fully reproduced.

OK read that again please.

That is of course impossible.

Without a time machine.

Krell called it an 'anticipator' circuit.  But of course it cannot anticipate.

If you want Class A, like I do, the Krells to buy are the pure Class A KRS200s like mine.  Class A, the whole Class A and nothing but Class A.

This is a very good thread, but just to clarify; Class A is a single-ended amplifier. Push-pull is class A/B (even though it is often described as class A). Do I understand it correctly?

@sngreen No. The Dynaco SCA35 is an EL84-based push-pull amplifier that is class A to full output. This is so because both output tubes are fully class A, only operating out of phase with each other. In this way the amplifier generates lower distortion than would ever be possible with a single-ended amplifier, and easily has wider bandwidth (and more power) too. No downside, except for the heat.

We've been building class A push-pull OTL tube amplifiers that are class A for decades on now (nearly 50 years). Our largest model makes over 500 Watts in class A.

FWIW though, class D has seriously eroded any reason to go class A. The reason a class A amplifier can sound good is because of its distortion spectra, which tends to be more benign than an AB amplifier. However, the way the feedback is handled has a tremendous effect on the distortion spectra as well, which is why merely being class A isn't always enough. Feedback can be poorly applied (and often is), resulting in a harsh sounding amp with measurably low distortion, on account of non-linearities in the feedback loop introducing higher ordered harmonics.

A benign distortion product will be mostly the 2nd and 3rd harmonics, with enough amplitude that they can mask the presence of any higher ordered harmonics (the latter of which, if unmasked, are responsible for an amplifier sounding dry, bright and/or harsh).

Turns out that class D, if designed properly, has a similar distortion spectra to a really good class A tube amplifier, and sounds similar, since the distortion signature of any amplifier is also its 'sonic signature'.

Audiophile know thyself and pick the distortion you ( ear - brain ) LIKE.

Copyright Reserved, 1978