CLASS A POWER RATINGS

In well designed SS class A power amps I was told that although power could increase to double in class AB mode from speaker demands of  8 ohms to 4 ohms, class A suffered to be cut in half.

For example a class A denominated amp rated at 50 watts class A into 8 ohms would double to 100 watts class AB  into a 4 ohm load but only have 25 watts of class A power before switching to class AB.

But I've noticed of late claims of manufacturers stating their amps double their class A power as impedance demands are halved.

So is the explanation that technology has advanced ?

rost

@atmasphere

The technology hasn’t advanced in this regard. When a class A amp can double its power into half the load impedance, its simply because its built to be able to do that. The technology to do that has been around for decades

+1

This makes absolute sense. Either it’s a legitimate true class A designed and built circuit or it isn’t. Amplifiers that claim generous class A power and are barely warm to the touch are suspect to me. Perhaps some degree of class A biasing but not genuine full  “A” circuit.

Charles

@dynamiclinearity

It’s hard, expensive and difficult to make a push/pull amp of any power that stays class A essentially all the time. The only one I can think of was the Mark Levinson ML2 amp of decades ago It was huge and yet only rated at 25 watts 8 ohms. But it had huge bias that kept it class A all the time even doubling into low impedance loads.

An excellent example of a pure class A push-pull amplifier. It was/is a beast.

Why not just buy a Sugden amp and end it. You will no longer have a yearning for anything else....read up on Sugden, they were the first with SS Class A in 1967. No BS class A that transitions to class A/B....I had not even heard of Sugden, but a few years ago. My curiosity peaked, and I broke down and bought one. It set me back a decent penny

..but man I’m glad I did it.....A21SE Signature...once that was in place, I again broke down and purchased my Tannoy Speakers, now I’m in the poor house lol. I’ll tell you what, it’s one heck of a combo. You would not believe how good only 30 watts per channel can sound (40 watts into 4 ohm). I’m pretty much set for life, as I’m old.

The best class A amps have doubled their wattage into 4 ohms for at least 40 years.