Beatles vs. Stones

Which do you prefer?

I'd have to go with the Rolling Stones although I do love Revolver.

And you?

128x128jjbeason14

@bigtwin

I see your point. Two things:

- the first Stones LP was mostly covers of American blues compositions. It wasn’t until the 2nd to 3rd LP that originals by Jagger/Richards, at the urging of Oldham, I believe, started to predominate. Because they released their first 6 LPs within 2 years, there’s really not that much of a meaningful start lag behind Lennon/McCartney.
- Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street are thought of as the Stones canonic high point, but I throw Aftermath - the first LP with all original compositions - in there as well.

@unreceivedogma 

The first Beatles US single, She Loves You, was released in August or September 1963, followed by I Want to Hold Your Hand. The first album release indeed was January 1964. And the first public appearance was on the Ed Sullivan Show, 2/9/1964.

@unreceivedogma 

I agree Aftermath may be an artistic breakthrough because they wrote all the songs. But I see it as just a transition to much better songs ahead. The earlier albums had many great performances that were cover songs, with some originals too.

I'm a Kinks fan from the British Invasion bands but between the 2, I would go Beatles all day and all of the night.