Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

@mceljo

Received the reply when I got up this morning and just completed the update via Mac OSX.

Was a fine process. *Note Mac users, the visual guide Vinshine sends uses screenshots from Monterey OS 12.0.1. If you’re using newer OS like I am (Ventura 13.2), the dialog boxes will appear a little different but you should be able to figure out all the appropriate steps.

I’m now listening to the upgraded Ares II via the Coax Spdif input (coming out of my Iris DDC). Can’t say if it’s sounding better necessary bc I just sat down to listen, but it certainly sounds good!

@jl1ny Currently it's only Ares / Enyo users who can do the update.  They are releasing the updates according to the model in batches so they don't get overwhelmed with support .   I believe the Terminators will be the last to get the email updates.

JS

Ok

5 hours later … working from home today and listened to quite a few records (streaming only) and it’s definitely an improvement in sound quality.
There’s definitely something going on with the stereo image. It seems bigger and more extended side to side. Also, the sound is slightly more vivid. The differences aren’t night and day, but the music just sounds bigger to me.

Also, I was one of those ppl who did have the occasional skipping issue.

For me it was less of a Pop than a soft skip sound. It would usually happen about 2 or 3 times in a long listening session and often not at all.

It was obviously not a good thing but I was never all that irritated because it happened so quickly and then it was over.

Anyway, hasn’t happened at all today and I hope it’s gone.

I’m still considering a Pontus or Venus upgrade in the near future but going to live with this updated Area II for the time being

JS

How did do you do the update?  My Pontus ll update will be coming soon.

Thanks.