Some famous reviewers have atrocious listening rooms!

It’s almost sad, really.  Some reviewers I’ve been reading for decades, when showing their rigs on YouTube, have absolutely horrible rooms.  Weird shaped; too small w/o acoustic treatment; crap all over the place within the room or around the speakers; and on and on.  

Had I known about the listening rooms they use to review gear in the past, I would not have placed such a value on what they were writing.  I think reviewers should not just list the equipment they used in a given review, but be required to show their listening rooms, as well.

Turns out my listening room isn’t so bad, after all.  

128x128audiodwebe

@mapman 

remember that one over the top review when jonathan skull announced to the world he removed his eyeglasses when listening and voila, everything sounded better and different!!! 🤣😂

Reviewers are just for entertainment purposes only and yes, many are not entertaining. Room acoustics has been the "hot" topic for several years now and an easy way to criticize other Audiophiles expensive systems. Is room acoustics important? Yes, but system synergy, level of components, quality of power, cables and vibration control are equally important. There is the idea by some a Hegel/Source Point 10 system in a treated room can outperform a Burmester/Magico system in an untreated room which is pure nonsense. More people need to get out demo and actually hear equipment from the budget Hegel to Burmester level of gear to actually have valid opinions. In Summary who cares about Fremers room, Darko and electronic music, Cheap Audio Man pushing junk gear and Andrew and Wife claiming the Polk R700 is an endgame speaker.

Is room acoustics important? Yes, but system synergy, level of components, quality of power, cables and vibration control are equally important.

I think that we have to acknowledge that different audiophiles claim to hear differently. I’m amazed at shows how audiophiles make claims about judging cables and electronics in horrible rooms.

I don’t know if they can actually hear THROUGH the crap or they are just suffering from self-delusion, but one thing I know for damn sure is I cannot.

So for me, that statement doesn’t match my reality. I have to have a good room first or the rest is nonsense.

Steven Guttenberg seems to live in a CVS breakroom's storage closet.

And may I repeat the nth time: so many audiophiles have the most "amazing" furniture and decoration worth 10s of dollars at a swap meet surrounding their 50+K equipment.

This seems to me like weighing yourself every morning on a scale that is off by 10 pounds.  So what, as long as it's consistent you will see if you are losing or gaining.

So (hopefully) they know how their room sounds and by extension they know what sounds better or worse.

You may punch holes in this very easily...don't bother.

Reviewers are "show girls" you'll never get what your expecting.

Use your own brain and ears.  'nuff said.

Regards,

barts