going from tube preamp to solid state

just toying around with this and it might not even happen.

have a tube preamp now and while i might sell this later on and get another preamp.......have there been members that have had a tube preamp, sold it and went to a solid state preamp and kept it ?          or did you prefer the tube preamp sound and went back to it ?

maybe got a tube preamp that uses different tubes than the previous one did ?     

the preamp i have now, i like the way it sounds, but just not a fan of the 6sn7 and never really have been.   i prefer the 6922, 12au7 / 12ax7 tubes better.   

innersound300

You could hook up a laptop headphone out directly to the amp, use computer’s volume control.

stream San Francisco from YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stream+friday+night+in+san+francisco

if nice imaging, then put preamp back in line. Same Imaging of 3 guitarists?

IF not something is wrong inside the preamp.

I have always preferred 6922 based preamps . 6922s do vary in sound between good NOS tubes and new units like the JJ which I liked a lot. That's just personal taste. see

1It's not a matter of better just slightly different sonics. Solid state is a whole  different sound. Me, I'd find a decent 6922 preamp and then play a little with tube rolling. If you're using a Schitt youmight try the LISST ss substitute. It's only $50.

@innersound300 imo, listen to @aricaudio who knows your preamp design.

I was about to suggest the same as Aric. I’m currently using a 6SN7 preamp with various tubes in the stable. Every single/different tube I've tried (NOS vintage or new) offers a different sound, presentation, level of detail and stage/focus can change. More info about your existing tubes in that preamp may help too. 

i.e. my NOS Sylvania 6SN7 long black plates are uber detailed and almost too forward and open compared to my other/smoother softer PSVane or TJ Full Music ’SN7 tubes, or new reissue Tung Sol 6SN7s a bit more rolled off. However, with your speakers and tweeters, might be a match for you. It’s a balancing act.

Have you already tried a few other 6SN7 or 6SL7 tubes in your preamp, as Aric is kindly suggesting? This is a start and common to try among members here. He mentioned caps too, yep, these can be changed too, ask Aric more imo. 

Amp/Cables/Speakers:

Reviewing your Innersound 300 amp, (i.e. similar to Coda 3.3 Stage), right?, I don’t think your amp is a culprit as much as it might be fining a combination of the 1) correct ’SN7 tube in your preamp 2) if you’ve not already tried possibly more transparent interconnects (yes it can help) to try on loan, between your sure and preamp, and preamp to amp 3) then if still not resolved, ask your PBN speaker manufacturer if there is a more open crossover capacitor or slight crossover/x-over change to open up that tweeter a bit more, is it rolled off some? Maybe so, worth asking them. Some small changes might go along way here first.

imo, several things to try long before jumping off the cliff to another preamp.

Here's one you might be interested in (Google the model # to find the US/Canadian vendor).

I'm not a 6sn7 fan either (preamp gain and as driver tubes).

DeKay

@decooney 

audiogon suspended my account so had to create a new one

i have tried other 6sn7 tubes and some like you say were to bright sounding, so didnt care for those.....i think those were the rca's ( could be wrong ).   i have tried the sylvanias also and like those as they are a bit more laid back.    

if you’ve not already tried possibly more transparent interconnects (yes it can help) to try on loan, between your sure and preamp, and preamp to amp 3) then if still not resolved, ask your PBN speaker manufacturer if there is a more open crossover capacitor or slight crossover/x-over change to open up that tweeter a bit more, is it rolled off some?

i have tried other IC's and it changed things, but not enough.

there is nothing wrong with the speaker, i dont need to have the tweeter opened up more, there is plenty of detail.