Nearly all manufacturers do not advertise/exhibit their product measurements? Why?

After my Audio Science Review review forum, it became apparent that nearly the only way one can determine the measurements of an audio product is wait for a review on line or in a publication.  Most equipment is never reviewed or is given a subjective analysis rather than a measurement oriented review.  One would think that manufacturers used tests and measurements to design and construct their products. 

Manufacturers routinely give the performance characteristics of their products as Specifications.  Those are not test measurements.

I searched the Revel speaker site for measurements of any of their speakers and could not find any.  Revels are universally lauded for their exceptional reviewed measurements.  Lack of published manufacturer measurements is true for nearly every speaker manufacturer I've searched for on line, perhaps several hundred.   Same is true for amps, pre-amps, DACs, transports, turntables, well you get the picture.  Do they have something to hide?   I doubt the good quality products have anything to hide but poor quality products do.  

ASR prides itself in providing "true" measurements that will aid in purchase decisions.   Why don't the manufacturers provide these measurements so that reviewers can test if they are truthful or not?

Then there are the cables and tweaks for which I suspect that there are inadequate tests available to measure sonically perceived differences but which objectivists believe don't exist or are "snake oil."  

Well, please chime in if you have some illuminating thoughts on the subject.   

I would have loved to see manufacturers measurements on my equipment and especially those that I rejected.  

fleschler
Post removed 

@cd318 

Many good points raised here.

It’s disappointing that ASR, the primary site on the entire internet that focuses on the science of audio receives so much non science based criticism.

The very point of such sites is to try to steer debate away from personal opinion towards scientific facts, isn’t it?

Didn’t we get enough opinionated nonsense from a whole host of printed journals and magazines for decades and decades?

Isn’t a little more balance something we should welcome and not resent whilst we share our audio experiences with each other?

Amir now seems to taken over the mantle as the most attacked man in audio from the late Peter Aczel who was arguing many of the same things over 20 years ago.

What good points??! From @kenjit the serf of Amir ?

How we hear is based on science. Audio textbooks are based on science. Audio textbooks on the physics of sound is science. Measurements beyond what Amir does is science. Amplifier design and choosing the right kind of solder and design topology is a science. Furthermore, ASR is not science. Human hearing sensitivity is extraordinary...despite the fact that we may not be able to hear as well as moths!!

The "opinionated nonsense" you speak of is simply descriptive language. We humans require it in our everyday lives to communicate the differences between things. Just like a food critic, not being able to describe what we are hearing (tasting) leaves everything up for a senseless debate later on.

Amir is attacked because he does the same thing on every single last forum he's ever been on! Start pointless debates bent on arguments with no merit, disagree with others, tell others they are wrong, and then share faulty measurements that further prove his inability to understand "audio science." We see all the mistakes and it's rather painful - how we arrived at a set of measurements and the tech behind it is far more important than a standard set of basic measurements...

Look inside something like a Sabaj A10h. How much do you think it really cost them to build it?! Ask yourself...Since you believe in saving money and "uncertain times." I'm sorry, the 3rd world will delve in to even more poverty since they keep having 15 kids every 2 months. Impossible I know, but they keep making that happen. Welcome to a world of overpopulation....

In closing...all counter-evidence will be ignored on ASR and the user will be banned, almost immediately. Like I said before, ASR does not welcome 3rd party validation or testing....I think Amir should send his test gear back to Audio Precision as a donation...someone with real chops can use it at home!!

I'm in agreement with mceljo.  I am a member of the American Society for Test Methodology and work in the chemical formulation discipline.  Is a chemical that is 99.90% pure inferior to a 99.95% pure competitor that costs twice as much.  Not usually.  Without standardized test methods, test equipment, and multiple people doing the same testing (to minimize bias and error), meaningful comparisons between equipment are difficult to achieve. Marketing people love to claim cherry-picked specifications to try to get an edge for sales purposes.  I'd like to see key reviewer get together and agree on how they are going to collaboratively test audio components - but that is not likely to happen. Then there is the subjective measurement/opinion ......

I got sucked into the rabbit hole and read far too much of this topic. I am torn between rolling on the floor laughing at the gymnastics some will do to discredit others, and feeling I need a shower to wash off the filth for the same reason.  I do say @mastering92 , you have quite the sense of humor,

per mastering92: "A failed tech executive at Microsoft"

per bio: "During my time at Microsoft, as VP of Digital Media Division, I grew to manage a division of nearly 1000 engineers, testers, marketing and business development people." 

Hands up all the "failed" executives who have ever had a 1,000 people working under them. But that is getting away from audio. Before I respond, I can say that I personally, for professional reasons, find value in the work that ASR does. I can also say that there are many things about ASR, and more specifically the tone of the posters and the unearned for many of them, air of expertise they exude, that I do not like. I take what they do for what it is worth, predominantly competent measurements (at least for speakers, not all, but most). Attacking the equipment they use is not a great place to start if you want to win an argument. They are using the same, best in class, equipment that the better manufacturers would use.

I can't offer you a professional perspective on the impact of ASR on the high end consumer audio industry (though I will make some comments later), but I can make a comment on the impact of ASR on the professional market, and that is in general education. I am surprised by how many will make comments like "I read about that on ASR". For me, that makes my job easier. What about the consumer market. Well this topic is up to what, 10 pages, most of it an attempt to discredit a website that according to so many "does not matter"? How many more topics just like this would I find here, or posts sprinkled around many topics?  That is a lot of head space for something that does not matter.

@kota1, we are in agreement about Amir's room. What a disaster. My ears are ringing just looking at it. I do respect those speakers though. There are some that ascribe to a view that we can adapt our hearing to complex rooms. Probably that is true, but also probably true only to a degree. I think that is an old view that is being rewritten as more become aware of what good room acoustics can do.

On another topic, after reading this thread, and a comment you made I think I can clarify what Amir was saying about your ARC room correction measurements. I don't know why he didn't just say it instead of being confrontational. In your Arc posts, you show the Red measurement curve, the Black target curve, and the Green corrected curve. I think the point Amir was making without saying it, was that the Green corrected curve is a predicted corrected curve. It is not a measured curve post correction. Arc shows you a prediction of what the curve may look like after correction. I think he was implying you thought that was the actual curve post correction, not a predicted curve post correction.