DAC Compatible with PS Audio SACD Transport

I have the PS Audio SACD transport on order. The ideal matching DAC to connect the PSA SACD transport is the just released PS Audio Direct Stream DAC II. But at USD8K, the price makes it seem like a bridge too far. Therefore I am looking for  another DAC that is compatible with the PSA SACD transport, for SACD playback via I2S. I am eyeing the Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC as it is reported to be an excellent DAC and is substantially cheaper than the PSA DAC. 

Are there any other DACs that you can recommend? Or do you think I should bite the bullet and get the PSA SACD DAC?

I must admit to being tempted from time to time, as PSA releases regular DAC updates which essentially gets you a new DAC. But then sanity intrudes LOL. 

128x128dcpillai

Personally, I would cancel the PS Audio transport order, and wait a few weeks for the Esoteric K-05XD.  Arguably the best transport mechanism on the planet, with a DAC that is phenomenal.  I think the MSRP is 8K.  I was considering the PS Audio SACD transport and a Holo DAC as well, but for 8K, the Esoteric is a much better option IMO.

@fred60 Thanks for the heads up. My Sony SCD-1 stopped playing SACDs this week and I was looking for a replacement.

The Project RS2 dac has i2s connections ....this enable my rs2 transport to reclock ....BUT not sure if the I2s protocol is the same with all manufacturers .... Superb DAC though ...

If you can trial one ... If the the I2s connection is proprietary you could order a custom cable to connect them if you know the schematics

Any of the Denafrips DAC that has I2S would be my go-to DAC... I belive it is all configurable. as I2S pinouts are not standardized.  Alvin Chee of Vinshine audio is a great guy to work with.

BTW, I am under the impression that PSAudio's SACD transport is due for a refresh as the current model has been around a long time.

For what it is worth, I just upgraded my MK1 DAC for the MK2.  PS Audio gave me what I paid for the MK1 so I could not resist.  The sound quality of the MK2 is hard to believe.  If you make the leap I don't think you will be sorry, this thing is that much better.  Call them and talk to Chris Harden, he might just hook you up with a great deal.  Good luck and happy hunting.