Educate me about DSD

So I don't know very much about DSD audio and files. I keep hearing it's good. I am a digital guy, streaming Tidal, Quobuz and still playing cds.

But I bought a streamer capable of DSD 512, therefore I want yo lean more. Can these files be streamed? Say on Tidal or another streaming service? Do I need to buy DSD discs? What does the audio qualities sound like? I assume much better than CD.

What can you tell me about DSD?

128x1282psyop

Use HQPlayer on a separate computer to upsample all your music to DSD and send to a Network Audio Adaptor (NAA), which in turn is USB out to your DAC. It sounds fantastic doing this if you have a good DSD DAC...which you will. Let me know if you want a better explanation. I'm somewhat new to it but have an ok grasp of it.

@2psyop 

As others have stated you’ll need to purchase/download your DSD files and store onto a local drive for playback through your Rose (USB/NAS). I haven’t seen the Rose but if it’s similar to my Lumin streamer you can set it up for native playback or convert down if needed (should you decide to go out to an external dac). It’s pretty straightforward- Enjoy!

For the relatively small number of native DSD recordings out there, is it really worth worrying about? I’m streaming thousands of hi-res PCM songs through my R2R NOS DAC without all the filters, noise, etc. and enjoying the crap out of the quality of sound I’m getting. Is doing backflips to try to optimize DSD processing for a relatively few recordings for negligible, if any, sonic benefit really worth it? Maybe someone can explain this to me, but currently I just don’t get it when hi-res PCM is so damn good and so much more accessible.  To me, SACD/DSD is Sony’s next-generation Betamax as an effort to create a proprietary format they can selfishly monetize as all their own but is ultimately and likewise doomed to fail.  Could be wrong, but it seems eerily similar in many respects.