"High end" store snobbery

Our county lies in a fairly remote part of the country.Our major city of 100,000 has one "high end" shop so to speak.

I visited them yesterday.The store has limited selection of decent  stuff-a few McIntosh amps.Marantz.Paradigm ,Focal,Sonus faber etc.No Wilsons or Bel Canto category.

I asked then if they take trade ins-I want to upgrade my one year old Yamaha RX4 AVR,worth $500 retail.

They said they only take high end components for trade i.e.McIntosh etc.

After that conversation, the 3 store employees pretty will ignored my presence and I continued browsing their meagre inventory.

Lo and behold!

In a corner I spotted about 30 items-old Pioneer,Yamaha amps and even an equalizer from the 1970s.Prices ranged from $75 to $500.

I asked :"what are these"

response from employee:"oh, those are items we are familiar with as they were swapped out for upgraded gear by our customers."

Thanks for tolerating my rant...

Gabe

gabor2525

PS Audio only sells manufacturer direct in USA...incredible trade in policy...they often work in conjunction with TMR I believe...the trade in can cover up to about 30% of price of new PS Audio gear you are buying...

find a child from a poor family and give him your receiver ... Do not look for gratitude - do not flatter your pride .... and then - audio luck will smile at you)))

The closest “high end” shop to me is 2.5 hours away and 4+ hours to a true high end. As such, many times when traveling to major cities I will look up audio shops to visit.  Sometimes I call in advance and sometimes walk in.  The vast majority of high end shops do have an attitude of snobbery and usually want to see if I am worthy of being in their store by asking what I have. When I tell them Rockport speakers, VTL amp, etc. then the attitude gets a little better.  But they typically only want to spend time with me or let me listen IF I am in the market for something that day.  Having been in audio over 50 years I remember when audio shops wanted people to come in and sit down to listen.  By doing so, people would get the itch to want to consider some type of upgrade.  Obviously there are shops that  don’t have an attitude and welcome people to come in and listen.  An example I experienced was with Sound Environment in Omaha NE. I called, told the sales guy I was from out of state and would just like to drop by.  When I arrived he gave me a tour of the store and then he took me to their state of the art room with Rockport Lyra speakers, D’Agostino amps, DCS digital, etc. We listened for hours.  No I did not buy anything but I did help a close friend buy a $50,000  system from them