Educate me about DSD

So I don't know very much about DSD audio and files. I keep hearing it's good. I am a digital guy, streaming Tidal, Quobuz and still playing cds.

But I bought a streamer capable of DSD 512, therefore I want yo lean more. Can these files be streamed? Say on Tidal or another streaming service? Do I need to buy DSD discs? What does the audio qualities sound like? I assume much better than CD.

What can you tell me about DSD?

128x1282psyop

I think DSD is fine, but I've not heard it be an exceptional improvement over high resolution PCM in a very long time.

IMHO, the legend of DSD being superior to PCM was both a combination of being better a long time ago plus some sweetening magic in DSD releases.

If you like DSD though I stronly encourage you to check out Blue Coast Records:

SACD, the primary difference I become aware of (not hear), is a lower noise floor, very nice for most, however that can be un-naturally quiet on sparse piano for instance.

bhvf and designsfx

I bought a HiFi Rose RS250 and it has an internal dac and my understanding is that it can play DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 246 and DSD 512. I just don’t know how I would configure the player to do this?  Streaming via a site like tidal (but not tidal)? Local files via HDD or Network? possibly on USB drive?

Hey psyop...

I don';t know of any streaming sites, just sites where you can buy DSD files.

Tools like Roon let you convert from PCM to DSD, but it seems like you are just playing around with the hardware rather than getting the full DSD experience.

@2psyop

Your RS250 is capable of playing DSD512 files natively. I am assuming you are playing DSD files or CD rips stored on your NAS. Your NAS can be connected to RS250 via USB or over your Network. Here is what manual says,

- Select the transmission format(Native, DOP, PCM) of Audio Samples to be delivered to the DAC when playing DSD music files.
- In Native mode, Analog Output (RCA out to your preamp or amp) supports up to DSD512 when playing DSD.