Speaker Cable Recommendations - Under 2k

I’m looking for some advice on speaker cables.  I currently have Morrow SP7s and would like to upgrade while keeping under 2k for a 2.5m pair.  Below is a list of my equipment.  

Linn LP12 with circus upgrade and lingo power supply

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Herron VTPH-2a phono preamp

ARC LS25 MKII preamp

ARC VT200 power amp

Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers

Interconnects and phono cable are also Morrow 7 series

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Ag insider logo xs@2xbstakston

All other brands cables sound veiled, glare, and unnatural because they are made by people (and machine) who don’t know how to make audio cables.

Wait – you own a cable business and write for The Onion!?

Seriously, that’s a very poor way to attract customers.

@whipsaw

“… Don’t be fooled by Shaw’s poorly informed opinion.…”

Hmmm … not so sir ! That’s a personal experiences exaggeration bias IMO at face value . Here’s why it can be challenged .

No quarrel on the merits of your good AUDIENCE cables that work in YOUR bespoke system … You make a good and valid point in your post about your direct experience that is contrary to Alan Shaw’s published opinion, And yes, I am very aware of the many strengths of your AUDIENCE cables …I’ve auditioned them myself too and concur that they can be very good and a good value.

BUT ….AND ITS A BIG “BUT”… here is the polar opposite from personal experiences.

My upgrade from a flat thin ribbon design, with many individually wrapped and very thin ( think 24 or 28 gauge ..can’t remember which ) ferrules in the Ag coated over Cu NOROST FREY speaker cables to the very much thicker mass and diameter and patented Golden Ratio Litz copper CARDAS CLEAR REFLECTION cables in MY system (emphasis added ) was a clear, unambiguous and graphic similar performance improvement parroting EXACTLY what Shaw published about “exotic” speaker material is elusive and a “ more metal is better ‘ approach may be be a better option to evaluate. The audio performance improvement with the fat and thick diameter CCRs was not subtle… full stop. Go figger… in my case, he was right on in helping me upgrade …. Who knew?

I fully concur that there is no one-size-fits-all recommendation in this and ANY other post ( there are no absolutes…) . But to characterize his position in the extreme as one to avoid being fooled is patently wrong IMO, sir.

For the record, I concur with you among others, that his other published agnosticism view on high end amps running his speakers is a sharp polar opposite to my direct experiences and readings. My HARBETHs are miles better driven with my REGA OSIRIS integrated amp than my ARCAM amp in my “B” system. Hence I don’t drink his KoolAid on amps, but his pontification on speaker cables seems to have support that is not hearsay to me.( and other forum readers)

MY TAKE

the OP can ( and should) weigh the valid merits of ALL opinions . and preferably do a direct bakeoff of competing alternatives to hopefully separate the contenders from the pretenders . It’s never a restricted binary choice and Again there are no absolutes in general.

yet It’s still noteworthy that Shaw’s position is either having cajonas the size of church bells for pushing false narratives like Trump….or …. He may have experiences supporting a valid point to ponder depending on one’s bespoke system with synergies ( or lack of );

My TAKEAWAY

With respect, the quote below kinda summarizes our vastly differing experiences vis a vis Alan Shaw

“… “There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently.

- Robert Evans.

@akg_ca

I agree with your "TAKE", though I never suggested that the OP shouldn’t consider all options, nor that thinner wires are intrinsically superior to those with higher metal content.

I was simply responding to Shaw’s unsupportable, sweeping claim that "thin and really thin cores should be avoided". So it was he who was speaking in absolutes, not I!

Cheers!

I've mentioned in some other posts I went from Cardas Clear to a relatively unknown cable from Poland, Audiomica Labs. Very nice improvement, more clarity but more importantly just a more natural sound. There are others in these forums that use them as well do a search. 

@whipsaw

I can accept your criticism that his choice of verbiage of “should be avoided “can be improved with either:

” should be cautious” substituted or something similar, or

Included an express qualifier that adverse …or better still: “non-optimal” audio performance results MIGHT be invoked if ignored …. I.e. make it caution worthy rather than predictable) He arguably kinda did that in a wordy way already , but point taken !

to the op

you have several competing good options to consider and polar opposite arguments presented . The Royal “We” have collectively done our jobs .., hopefully you compare them in good form for YOUR system.