Focal Sopra 2’s vs. Legacy Focus SE’s

I recently decided to upgrade my speakers. I don’t want to go into the usual “front end bragging” about my other equipment lol. It’s good and could be better …. Leave it at that.

I recently listened to Legacy Signature SE and Focus SE. Thw Focus blew me away. The signatures didn’t cut it bottom end and all around. 
I have never heard the Focus Sopra 2.  It’s a tough companion because the Focus have (2) 12’s that are incredible at both low and high volume levels. Has anyone heard both of these??

bobbyloans

Thank you for the input. Well stated ..

My room is 15x15.  I have  Parrasound A51 Amp and JC2 preamp.  I use a Gustard 26pro DAC fed from. Bluesound Node streamer   

I compared the Legacy Focus and Signature with an Apertura Edena, and there was no contest. The Apertura were much better. And not nearly so heavy.

@bobbyloans I have owned the Sopra 2 and had it paired with good electronics (see my virtual system if interested).  They replaced a pair of Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mark ll, which I loved.    I will say this about the Focal.  They are very nice speakers if you can find a slightly used pair at 1/2 the retail asking price.  At that price I thought they were a good value.  I would have been very unhappy had I bought them new.  I also found they were not an improvement over the Crescendos.  My take for what it's worth.  Cheers.

@bobbyloans That is not a very big room, and I would worry about the Focus SE in that space. Where did you listen to both the Focus SE and Signature SE? What was the size of the space and the electronics used?

The Signature SE easily fills a room that size and can be placed closer to walls due to its sealed design. The Focal will work better at least 3’ away from walls. Also, your electronics are considerably neutral, with the Gustard being a bit more analytical. I would be concerned with pairing this stack with Focal.

My bet would be on the Signature SE. You can even inquire with Legacy to build them with the upgraded drivers found in the Signature XD. Your electronics should be able to control them well, and they fit the space nicely. There are plenty of other speakers on the market as well. I’ve learned that bigger is not usually better, and matching the speaker to the room is most important. I learned the hard way when I went from the Focus SE to the Aeris in my 19x23x18 showroom. I now have a pair of custom Signature SE on the way for the floor, but since the Aeris I scaled my speaker size down to Borresen Z3 Cryo, which only have two 8” woofers. Heck, even the small floorstanding Scansonic MB-2.5B can fill my room largely without subs.