Tube DACs

For some time I've assumed that tube DACS are meant for direct output to power amps -- in other words, no reason to use a tube DAC if you are running through a tube preamp (unless all components are by same mfr and designed for synergy).

But lately I have seen posts implying some run Brand A tube DAC through brand B tube preamp -- say, Primal Luna 100 to Rogue RP-9. Can't find any prior threads addressing this topic directly.

So, question: am I wrong to suppose that pairing random tube DAC A with random tube preamp B is a bad, or at least a silly idea, absent a known synergy?

S

hickamore

Personally I prefer a DAC's fixed output if it has any type of attenuators.   Even better is no variable output at all.   My DAC is the excellent sounding LAB 12 DAC 1 Reference.   Sure it has no features to speak of other than input selection and has a fixed analog output using a pair of 6922, but it sounds phenomenal .  

@macg19 I have a pair of Gold Lion and a pair of RCA Long Grey Plate aside from the stock ones that came with the DAC.  The Gold Lion weren't anything even remotely noticeable in difference.  The RCA I like the sound of, but there is a bit of break up and they are VERY microphonic so I can hear odd harmonics and noise level.  Nothing I have tried yet has 'warmed' things the way I'd like, without making things smooshy.  I have a pair of Legacy Studio HDs (recent version) and a Rega integrated amp, so there plenty of detail and accuracy, but things are a tad 'edgy' and can be fatiguing after a while of listening.

@amtprod I've tried the Gold Lion re-issue power tubes and pre-amp tubes and they don't do anything for me either. The RCA grey plates are not cheap, so perhaps there is an issue with the tubes. "Edgy" is exactly what I was trying to get rid of, and I have. 

Very happy with the Black Ice now...it is NOT the DAC (at least not in my system).