Tube DACs

For some time I've assumed that tube DACS are meant for direct output to power amps -- in other words, no reason to use a tube DAC if you are running through a tube preamp (unless all components are by same mfr and designed for synergy).

But lately I have seen posts implying some run Brand A tube DAC through brand B tube preamp -- say, Primal Luna 100 to Rogue RP-9. Can't find any prior threads addressing this topic directly.

So, question: am I wrong to suppose that pairing random tube DAC A with random tube preamp B is a bad, or at least a silly idea, absent a known synergy?

S

hickamore

@amtprod I got the Mullards (and others) from Brent Jesse. Go to audiotubes.com

Brent is a guru, let him know Ian sent you (wont save you or me any money but it would be nice)

Best way to get a hold of Brent is email. He is busy and short handed.

The Mullards were expensive, $450/pair (1950s halo getter long plates).

Brent also recommended "Brimar military CV4035 “flying lead” 12AX7 modified by Bob Hoviland for use in a 12AX7 socket". I think these are $350/pair.

I have relatively cheap Brimar’s in my tube amp and they are wonderful - I’m a/b testing these against a much more expensive Mullard’s right now and so far the cheaper Brimar’s are better but I have many hours to go before making a call - the Brimar’s have a lot more hours on them than the Mullard's.

Dave from Raven Audio also suggested Amperex & Valvo (ECC83). Brent has these and lists all prices and in-stock items online.

These tubes were recommended specifically for the DAC - ZERO noise / microphonics.

Brent will allow a trade-in if you dont like what you get - no re-stocking fee if you apply the full purchase price to another tube.

I’d give the Brimar’s or Valvo’s a try first.

Personally I prefer a DAC's fixed output if it has any type of attenuators.   Even better is no variable output at all.   My DAC is the excellent sounding LAB 12 DAC 1 Reference.   Sure it has no features to speak of other than input selection and has a fixed analog output using a pair of 6922, but it sounds phenomenal .  

@macg19 I have a pair of Gold Lion and a pair of RCA Long Grey Plate aside from the stock ones that came with the DAC.  The Gold Lion weren't anything even remotely noticeable in difference.  The RCA I like the sound of, but there is a bit of break up and they are VERY microphonic so I can hear odd harmonics and noise level.  Nothing I have tried yet has 'warmed' things the way I'd like, without making things smooshy.  I have a pair of Legacy Studio HDs (recent version) and a Rega integrated amp, so there plenty of detail and accuracy, but things are a tad 'edgy' and can be fatiguing after a while of listening.