Preamp comparison - Rogue Perseus and ARC LS25 MKII

I was fortunate to pick up a LS25 a couple of weeks ago and have been giving it a thorough listen.  Really nice preamp, my first ARC piece of gear.  It's been fun switching between it and my trusty Rogue Perseus.  Probably not a fair comparison with the LS25 over 3k more when new.  But it is what it is.  Using my Rogue Atlas Magnum tube amp and Snell type D speakers.  

Right out of the box I could tell the difference.  The LS25 is just a little more refined, the word polite coming to mind.  The Perseus gives music a bit of bite and texture, an added fullness and bass presence also. The soundstage is just a touch more open as well.  The LS25 has a slight edge in clarity, with more attack. 

I've always read that ARC tube gear is considered to be not quite as 'tubey' as most.  I think I now know what that means.

Now trying to decide which to keep.  I will do more listening to be sure but I am leaning towards sticking with the Rogue and passing along the LS25.  You all might think I am nuts (most likely I am) but I do enjoy the richer and fuller presentation of the Perseus.   

A question for those with ARC experience:  might tube rolling in the LS25 add a bit more of what I am looking for? 

Ideally, I would like to find a tube pre that combines the attributes of both - clarity with great texture and fullness and an open soundstage.  Any suggestions for tube pres that might fit this description are welcomed.

Thanks!

pkatsuleas

@mulveling 

You don't see the Athena or Hera for sale often.  If I did I might grab one.  I have been very curious about the RP series.  There was one local that I almost bought but snoozed on it.  But, it sounds like you are saying that the newer Rogue pres don't have that full bodied, warm sweater sound.  I like full bodied for sure.  A touch more detail would be appreciated.  I think I am going to try some new tubes.

Thanks

@pkatsuleas totally worth trying the new EH gold pins in the ARC. 
I am not familiar with your Rogue components but I did own the RP1 paired with ST100 and then upgraded to RP5. Believe it or not, I actually preferred the RP1. In either case the RP preamps and the ST100 were very quiet as far as tube components are concerned but sounded slightly dry. I wouldn’t call that sound solid state like. The biggest value was the ST100 amp. It’s really good especially considering the price.
I eventually moved on to the solid state Pass gear and never looked back. 

You don't see the Athena or Hera for sale often.  If I did I might grab one.  I have been very curious about the RP series.  There was one local that I almost bought but snoozed on it.  But, it sounds like you are saying that the newer Rogue pres don't have that full bodied, warm sweater sound.  I like full bodied for sure.  A touch more detail would be appreciated.  I think I am going to try some new tubes.

Thanks

Yes, I am saying exactly that :)

I had a RP9 and it was more detailed than even the Athena & Hera, so I'll give it credit for that. 

The 12AU7 in the Perseus has a lot of options for rolling, and should have a big impact on sound. I'm not a big fan of 12AU7's in general so don't have as much experience rolling there as with 12AX7. But there should be parallels, and in that case the ribbed-plate Telefunkens or silver plates Cifte/Mazda are top recommendations for detail, clarity, dynamics. For a cheaper and easier to find tube on the "detailed, clean" side, the Sylvania 6189 and Philips ECG 6189 are quite good. And from modern Russian production, their Tung-Sol small tubes are a great choice in this vein of sonic character.

Also - I’ve used sets of both EH Gold and Sovtek 6H30 in both the ARC Ref 6 preamp and the Rogue Athena and Hera, going back several years. Not a lot of difference in these tubes, either way. The EH Golds are maaaaaybe a hair warmer. Like 1 - 2% max. Not enough to change your opinion of a preamp. The gold pins are sometimes a bit thicker and grip better in a loose socket, so there’s that. Never noticed much effect from cryo treatments, either. You don’t need to stress about tube-rolling in 6H30 based preamps, unless you want to try the 1970s/80s "DR" supertubes - and good luck finding matched sets of that 😶

Upscale Audio’s Platinum grade matched sets of either Sovteks or EH has always been good enough for me. I have an Athena here and honestly forget which tubes are in it - maybe I'll take a peek now lol. 

Agree with @mulveling the EH gold are slightly warmer. But the key here is to get a fresh set of tubes and eliminate the possibility of old worn out tubes impacting the comparison. 
Also don’t forget what I mentioned earlier - give each preamp a few days of critical listening, let it sink in. Sometimes the changes aren’t appreciated with a quick A/B.