50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

@curtdr 

Well, isn’t that just the dumbest comparison. 

Old white guys have historically been subjected to such marginalization, right? 

And seeing as how I’m an old white guy…

Any other clever comments you want to add?

sure... here’s my questions instead: Why would you post such a comment in the first place? Why is it "hilarious" and why the focus on age and race? Are you saying that hip hop and the related rap really is race-based music and anybody not of whatever "race" in question ought butt out and not discuss it... because why?

Since I'm not an ancient Greek, ought I not discuss Plato?  And since I'm not Jewish, I ought not discuss Genesis and Exodus? 

@garebear - again personally, I don't care at all who plays, sings, or raps what. I don't care if anybody is classically trained or not trained at all. All I care about is the end result; the song itself. Other folks have other criteria as to what they like. 

I like what I like and feel no need to rationalize nor apologize for 'deviant taste'. 😏

Halfway to 72, better condition than I deserve to be, considering taking up a less 'emphatic' version of shuffle dancing to maintain that. ;)

Not black...'white', but prefer 'beige'....more accurate, anyway...*G*

Going to the symphony to absorb some piano on Saturday, but will likely de-rez later with some loudness and shake off seat stasis....

A little Tina ought to do the trick, Slick....;)