How long do speakers last?

I ask because I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33's for an insanely good price. I get it: "it depends how hard they have been driven", but judging by the condition they were very nicely taken care of. My only concern is that will need repairs in the future whereas I could just spend that money on new speakers. On the other hand they sound fantastic. Just curious about the lifespan. They'd be a nice upgrade from my Klipsch bookshelves / sub combo.

mucker

Thank you all for your replies. There is some great wisdom here. 

Considering how little I am paying for them, the worst case is I can just sell them without a loss if I don't like them. But from all accounts they should be great speakers that I will enjoy for many years.

Thanks again for the insight and replies.

I just re foamed my pair of Bose 301’s that were bought in 1977 and they still run great. I use them for my front surrounds in a second tv room. This also includes having them in a garage setting in northern Wisconsin for 16 years as well.

Insanely good  price and they sound fantastic? -- I can see why your are worried.

Another vote for Bill Legall at Millersound. A wonderful man with a lifetime's experience repairing speakers. Not just surrounds, either, but spiders, voice coils, everything. Very reasonable prices, too.

I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10's that I bought brand new in 1987 that are in mint condition and sound like they did the day I first hooked them up.  Never been opened up or worked on and all original components.  They have always been in a non-smoking house, and in a room that is always used (so well ventilated and climate controlled), which I believe is more important to speaker longevity than the occasional "cranking them".