Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@intactaudio  : " on a solid foundation " but your observations on the VIV owners has not that " solid foundation ".

Observation must be under control with very specifics targets to look for.

First observation on the VIV is the manufacturer site that's a " bs " for say the least.

R.

What about the phase anomalies you and I happily live with, caused by dipole speakers where the rear radiation is 180 degrees out of phase with the front?

@lewm @mijostyn The reason any speaker with rear firing information should be at least 5 feet from the wall behind it has to do with how the ear processes near term reflections. When 5 feet from the wall behind the speaker the delay time is about 10ms. When the ear hears a sound, it makes a short term copy and looks for other examples in near term. If less than 10ms or so, the ear interprets similar examples as harshness (which is why side wall reflections have to be tamed), but if 10ms and over the ear can use it as echo location information, which means the sound stage of such speakers can be more palpable.

So I'd be unconcerned about 'phase anomalies' in this regard. 

@atmasphere With diffusion panels directly behind the speaker is it possible to shorten that 5 foot distance by a small amount? I have always considered trying planars but my listening room is moderate in size. 22'L x 16' W x 8'H. The most useful set up would only allow pull the speakers 3.5 to 4 feet off the front wall. Wonder if that is a viable option?

Dear @atmasphere  : Analog/audio is full of anomalies and the @mijostyn  pointed out: " The point is to minimize it. "  even what I " preach " in the forums almost always: put at minimum any kind of " distortions ".

But subjectivity makes that some audiophiles instead to put at minimumm those " anomalies/distortions " just added more, VIV confirm it.

Anyway, for me the VIV/underhung issue is exhausted and at least for me useless to follow.

To each his own.

R.

With diffusion panels directly behind the speaker is it possible to shorten that 5 foot distance by a small amount?

@neonknight No. But if the speakers are closer than the 5 feet having something absorptive might help with the harshness that will result.