So Weird- No Stylus Contact Woofer Pumping with Hana ML and Elac PPA-2

I observed the weirdest thing I have ever seen in audio. With the cartridge positioned above the record, tone arm locked up and platter spinning, the woofers were pumping on my system. I googled every permutation of query I could think of but came back with no hits. That’s when I decided to video the problem- link below:

Mystery Woofer Pumping

I could type out all the details but the video pretty much covers everything. I thought ya’ll might be interested in this.

mitchellcp

Let’s review,

Woofer pumping is tied to rotation speed, the pumping is faster at 45 than 33 also spinning the platter by hand will excite the woofers.

A- Pumping exists when the system set up is: Balanced output from tonearm to balanced input at phono preamp and:

1. Stylus is over the play surface and the platter is rotating- not off to the side (it also persists with the stylus on the record).
  2. There is a just a record on the platter (rotating)
  3. There is a just a mat on the platter (rotating)- the mat is a synthetic material.
  4. There is a mat and a record together (rotating)

B- Woofer pumping stops when:

1. There is platter rotation and the platter is empty, no record, no mat
  2. There is no rotation regardless of what on the platter.

B1- Disproves the magnet in the platter theory. Also the platter is hot forged and is as close as humanly possible to 100% pure aluminum. There are no ferrous metals involved.

Static electricity is just that static, hanging on for as long as it takes to discharge to an object of lower potential. I believe it’s widely accepted that vinyl records are able to hold a static charge. So I’m all in on that.

@nrenter I’d be interested to check the humidity of your house-

25%RH right now.

if you wet-wash or simply dry brush your records, etc.

Wet wash occasionally, dry brush prior to use.

Did the single ended connection really solve your problem?

Yes

Did the rewiring create a better ground path?
Ummmmm... maybe? I just check continuity and move on.
Why do people feel the need to comment without watching your video?

I don’t know, it’s annoying.

@lewm The issue with the pumping occurred over a period period of days and the video shows only the effect and it’s current solution.

To me the bigger question is about the implementation of balanced phono output overall. I was pretty eager to try balanced output in my system for it’s obvious benefits, 6db boost over single end, inherent in system noise reduction etc. I was not expecting to see a whole new problem surface.

I would really be interested to hear from anyone with a balanced output system as to how their experience is going.

It’s possible this is one reason so few phono preamps offer this feature. I know Project has a whole program for balanced TT’s. If so, I’m guessing they have incorporated solutions to situations like this.

There could be a simple wiring fix to this.

I will be looking into static control and once I have some tools on hand, I’ll probably attempt the Balanced output experiment again.

@dweller , I had one of those when I was a teenager back in the late 70's, it's funny to see it again. So funny I'll have to buy one- again.

I also had a Zerostat in the seventies. Seems to me, it was four or five times stronger than the current ones. They used to use some kind of radioactive element which came with a warning to keep away from your children.

Good find, Dekay.  For a true balanced hook-up from cartridge to a true balanced phono stage, audio ground is typically floated (no ground, in other words).  Pin2 of the XLR connector is typically connected to the positive phase ("hot" on an RCA connection), and pin3 carries the negative phase (the outer barrel of an RCA).  Pin1 can be connected to shield but not to the cartridge. Maybe there is a wiring problem that only pertains when operating in balanced mode. But I hate to say this, the video shows the problem goes away when LP and platter mat are removed, even though he is still (I think) operating the system in balanced mode at that point. If we can throw out that bit of information, it makes more sense. (Just kidding; we are stuck with the facts of the matter.)