50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

Im 67 and a big soul/ Motown/funk fan that happens to be white. From what I can remember. the first popular HopHop on the radio waves was from bands like the New Edition in the early eighties. They transformed into a Hip Hop giant called Biv, Bell and Devoe. Another first in the genra was Blondies rapture. Great dance tunes from the 80's. Don't remember much Hip Hop in the 70's.

Blondie's 'Rapture' was not a first in any genre, and the members of Blondie would be the first to tell you that. Rap/hip-hop was going on long before that, but maybe white folks were not as clued into it, generally, before that chart hit; 'Rapture' was a tribute to earlier rappers.... 

@garebear - personally, I like rap and hip-hop more than I like jazz, which is pretty much not at all. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. But I don't dismiss anything I don't happen to care for; I still respect it - all music has value to the people who get something out of it. 

@garebear No, you’re wrong and both exaggerating and over-simplifying. I don’t know what "Hip Hop Rappers" are, but many artists (Nas, Alfa Mist, Mac Miller, Fetty Wap, Nicki Minaj, and others) are musically, if not classically trained. And yes, any creative mind with a digital audio workstation can create the genre.

But any creative mind with a guitar can do the same thing. I imagine classical musicians were clutching their pearls in the 60’s.

@1happyman New Edition and Bobby Brown’s artistic iterations were more accurately seen as R&B, whilst BBD is more of a hip hop act. But in the early 80’s, you had Newcleus, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, UTFO, Kool Moe Dee, and others.

And agin, can we leave behind the battered and inaccurate chestnut of Blondie and Dylan being primogenitures of rap? It screams out-of-touch Boomer. I mean, Dylan was emulating West African griots, if anything.