Did vinyl sales just hit the proverbial brick wall?

Interesting read here about the state of vinyl. Personally, I had no idea what the percentage of vinyl sales was “merchandise” never to be opened or played.

https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/did-the-music-business-just-kill?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

128x128wturkey

@bdp24  Hey, thanks for reserving a copy of the LP for me but I'm a lazy guy and just cued it up on Qobuz. Yeah, I know. I'm piteous. A disgrace to my advancing age and audiophiliosis. The stream is maybe a bit more thuddy and midrangey than I remember it, but the music still cuts through.

as for the Rhianna thing, blech except for the last song... plus, was she lip synching? if so, that would add further to the sleek but shallow artificiality of the whole thing: circus. jus sayin At least Dylan elevates the culture... grrrr... and yes Blowin In the Wind is quite relevant to this day, but then most of the Super Bowl crowd most likely doesn’t care about such things, being enamored of spectacle: bread and circus...

as for the LP question: LPs are a nostalgia item. Cool to listen to and spin, but are they worth the hassle? Not to me, and I’m an audiophile, let alone to casual listeners... But, I also do understand the pleasures of physicality, and LPs do offer that more than does streaming or even CDs. I’m not surprised to see their oft-touted new sales growth slamming on the brakes; it’ll go down from here, I’d posit the guess...

...I bought some vinyl recently, but she refuses to wear it....

"It's Squeaky!"

Half-time @ the SB....*yawn*  At least the 4th Q was a nice surprise....one bobble will blow you out, and wake up the crowd... ;)

Actually bought an LP recently, tho'...."I am not opposed..." 

@edcyn: No problem, I was in Music Millennium again today (oh no, I'm going to record stores every day now ;-) and bought the disc. But it's a CD, not an LP (like I said, the album is getting hard to find on LP. If they had the LP I'm sure it would have been priced at maybe 20 bucks). I know, my post didn't make that clear. Anywho, now I have a copy for the car (2000 Chevy Tahoe Ltd., lowered 4 inches front and rear). 

@skyscraper    Noting your remarks on longevity and acquiring record collections, many years ago I used to buy a lot of used classical records at a shop in London run by a guy who was around 25 years older than me.  He used to say 'I'll get your collection one day".  This amused me.  The shop hasn't been there around 10 years now, but I don't know if he is.