Daedalus Audio Vs. Kef

HI, I'm looking at upgrading my current speakers. I have the Kef R700 and use them with the Odyssey Tempest preamp and Khartago stereo amp. What I'm hoping for is for some comments by anyone that has heard the lower cost Daedalus models and the Kef R series regarding how they feel they compare and/or differ in overall sound quality. I'm not likely to be able to easily audition Daedalus, so any thoughts you might have would help. Thanks very much.
teflonscoundrel
Thanks for the suggestions Drubin. I have looked at the Revel a bit, but wasn't sure if they were much different from the Kef. I will see if I can find an opportunity to demo those at as well as the Dynaudio Focus.

Mtrot, I think you're probably right about the dynamics and lack of compression also being a big part of it. Hopefully some other that have experience with Daedalus will have a chance to comment about how they do with those aspects.
I agree with Jazdoc. I own Daedalus speakers but have no experience with the Kef's. However, you have cited tone and dynamics as being two areas where you would like to see improved performance. These happen to be two areas where the Daedalus speakers excel. Still, you really should hear them before making a decision. I know Lou has a network of clients who will conduct auditions for those seriously interested in his speakers. You may be able to connect with someone relatively nearby. Also, as Jazdoc states, Lou has an in home trial policy that is very reasonable, so you could go that route as well. Best bet is to call Lou and talk it through. I would also recommend that you hear a bunch of other speakers in your price range first and then try the Daedalus and see if they are your cup of tea.
As a Daedalus Ulysses owner, I'll third the comments by Jazdoc and Dodgealum. In particular, I can't imagine that you would be disappointed in the timbral characteristics or tonal richness of any of the Daedalus models, assuming that they are not compromised by the recording or by your electronics. And the fact that they are exceptionally easy to drive would help minimize the latter possibility. Dynamics, as has been said, as well as transient response and "speed," are also excellent.

Regarding Lou's 30 day return policy, the specifics are described near the bottom of this page.

Regarding the question about the soft dome tweeter, IMO the related comments by Doug Schroeder on the first and third pages of his review in Dagogo are spot on.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks everyone for your responses. They are a big help. I'll work on finding a way to hear some Daedalus when I can and go from there.
As an owner of DA-RMA V.2s, I can say that you will very likely find it a rewarding experience to hear the Daedalus models. After hearing them once myself I was determined to own a pair.
Remember that the V2 is a significant upgrade to an already superb speaker and all new production is built using that configuration. Buying a used model and having it upgraded, as I did, also offers tremendous value. Lou supports his earlier production as well as anyone.
I've been in this hobby for 46 years, and one "sound" certainly does not fit all listeners, but I absolutely love the way these speakers simply get out of the way of the music, video sound, or spoken voices. It truly is as if you are in the same room as the performers, with nothing between you and the event. No hype, just a very truthful telling of the event. That is very special indeed, and puts these in the category as true bargains in high end. And the cabinets offer a lesson in craftsmanship that enhances the ownership experience. I believe Daedalus speakers are classic of the future, as they are hand made in limited quantities by one man, not stamped out like cookies.
All my audio buddies agree on all counts, and 3 of them are or are becoming Daedalus owners too, so hearing is believing.
Have fun!