Do I buy an upscale TT?

I recently heard a $50K TT at a friend’s and was floored by the performance.

It was a sound from a system I have never heard.

I have a very nice Woodsong Garrard 301, Tri-Planar arm and Grado Epoch 3 cartridge. Going into an Atma-Sphere MP-1 pre wt phono.

Discovered an affordable TT based on the Legendary Commonwealth idler drive TT (said to be among the best). One is $8500 and the other more elaborate one is $15K.

And there is another highly modified brass Garrard 401 for $10K. (said to be as good as the Commonwealth)

The big question is whether or not I am going to be pleased with the improvement in sound? There will certainly be a lot of hassle to change TTs!

mglik

I think you’d be better off assessing what you currently have and make modifications or tweaks that would help you achieve the sound you are looking for. For example cartridge, cables, arm. speed controller, damping, feet the list goes on. Rarely can you find what you’re looking for “off the rack” so to speak. The other option might be to try your friends turntable in your system if that’s possible. My point is I’ll bet it doesn’t sound the same. Good luck. 

Hey... do you guys Hear Yourselves?

Geez, talk about First World Problems...

@pennfootball71 

What a ridiculous statement! You do not need to spend $50,000 on a turntable to get great sound

A turntable should not add ANYTHING to the sound quality. The most important attributes a turntable can have are lack of noise, isolation from the outside world, pitch consistency and speed accuracy. Pitch consistency requires unwavering speed and a very flat record. So, the turntable must be able to clamp the record flat. 

Going to another idler drive will do absolutely nothing for you. Remember, the sound of your friend's system was due in the most part to his Speaker/room combination not the turntable. You already have a fine set up with one exception, the Garrard. @clearthinker is absolutely right. Idler wheel drive is an antiquated design. The noise and rumble are legion. Each bearing and contact point adds to the symphony and on top of that their pitch consistency is poor. The attraction to these turntables is purely psychological. Like clearthinker I sold my last idler wheel drive table in 1967, never to look back.

On the bright side there are meaningful improvements you can make by going to a quieter, more accurate table with isolation and either vacuum or reflex clamping. Sota is out because your arm will not fit. SME is a possibility if you can find one you can afford. The Kuzma Ref 2 is an excellent choice and in your price bracket! Get a good dust cover for it and you are in business. You will notice my blacker backgrounds and a realness to the music missing in setups with poor pitch consistency. Wavering pitch kills the illusion that you might be listening to a real performance.