Quobuz subscription

Hi I've recently joined Quobuz to try-out few tracks. 

The ones released on 70's and 80's Japanese jazz vinyls sound really muffled. Thought they would sound better vs. YouTube streaming channel of Terminal Passage that actually mostly plays its digitized vinyl collection, but quality is too far away from even YouTube.

I checked the quality and all of them are CD 44.1kHz, but the sound quality is so far away from CD 44.1kHz.

So what's there to check? Is only major-popular recording industry albums sound good there.

I checked that via my Mytek DAC and via my cheap DAC and both DACs show nearly-same differences on the playback vs. YouTube.

So far Tidal actually gets my best grading on items outside of RR hall of fame or outside of recording industry standards.

It really seems to me that Quobuz is over-advertised.

czarivey

I’d say Qobuz is oriented towards classical music which sounds as good as any original copy of cd or high-Rez download. The catalogue is really extensive, practically missing only Hyperion. 

Absolutely agree with nice write up dlcockrum.  Subscribe to Qobuz (NO U) and Tidal through Roon and directly to my dCS Bartok.  Much prefer the Qobuz catalog.

Check your ethernet connection if there's a quality issue.

Enjoy the music.

I wish I could help you with your problem but I just subscribed to Quobuz thru my Esoteric network player and it performs flawlessly and sounds fantastic. Im really impressed with the quality of Quobuz. Im sure Tidal is good too but Quobuz seems to be the preferred choice in this forum. Im just impressed with this level of streaming in general and hope you can solve you issue because your definitely missing out. I thought Radio Paradise was good…Good luck. 

Qobuz is hands down better than Tidal.  There may be something off with your playback.  Maybe try deleting and reinstalling Qobuz.  You are using the Hi-Rez streaming?  Doesn't make sense.

@anzaanimalclinic -- just a reminder that the OP was complaining about the mediocre sound quality of a few specific albums.  Understand that neither Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify or any of the other streaming actually record or produce music themselves. Nor do they "fix" mediocre or poor quality recordings -- they simply give a high quality stream of what's stored on their hard drives.

And, as most of us know from having bought LPs and CDs for decades, recording quality varies from poor to superb. It can be very frustrating to find a piece of music one loves that has been poorly recorded. Sometimes EQing can help a bit, but beyond that there is nothing we can do to fix it.