50 years of Hip Hop- How Come?

Having been a music fan for over 50 years, it’s been fun to see all the different musical genres that have come and gone in popular music.

In the the 50s it was Rock n Roll. Then in the 60s we had Psychedelia, in the 70s Punk, in the 80s New Wave, in the 90s Grunge. It was always interesting to see how music changed into the next new thing.

At the latest Grammy awards, which I did not see, there was a segment called 50 years of hip hop.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the genre, there are some songs I have liked, but that’s ok. Everyone has their tastes. What I am surprised about is Hip Hops longevity. It just seems like for the last 25 years a lot of music hasn’t really changed much. There has been no " next new thing"as far as I can tell.

How Come? Anyone feel the same way or care to comment. Am I just getting old??

128x128alvinnir2

@tomcarr 

"For me, there are two kinds of music.

The kind I like, and the kind I don't like".

Honest answer!  👍

We can debate the relative objective merits of various musical styles all day long but in the end we like what we like. 

For example, the fact that Classical music is more melodically and harmonically sophisticated than Rock doesn't change the fact that I find it wholly unengaging rhythmically. Everyone else in my family prefers Classical. I can appreciate its qualities but in the end, it simply doesn't draw me in. Who can say why such preferences arise?  I have no idea. I like what I like.

In the mid seventies I began to explore Jazz and ever since, it's comprised more than 50% of my listening. Since then, I haven't experienced any comparable shifts in taste. At this point, I recognize my tastes are very deeply ingrained. Call it good or bad-- it is what it is. I like what I like. 

But tastes change. Important to continue to give it a listen from time to time. 

Dylan could be considered the father of rap if you like. Right now listening to I Want to Dance with You...Prine meets Strait. All sorts of cross-pollination going on or is that soon to be deleted from the biology books.

hip hop - thought the best of it is not so cleanly classified - is nice for a party sometimes I suppose, sure... 

or "urban" film soundtracks for some scenes, yes... 

extended listening?  um... well, ok... 

but, to each his or her own, also yes...