Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

It is amazing how Moores law works in favor of audio. Many of the systems being discussed in this thread would have been $$$ just 3-5 years ago.

20wpc Philips receiver paired with Epi 100 speakers.  

Problem was, once they heard it, it embarrassed a lot of people who spent a lot more on big, fancy, expensive, and/or blingy stuff... 

I still have those Epi 100 speakers to this day, though updated the simple capacitor crossover... and they still challenge speakers far more expensive and larger speakers.  Plus, they are attractive to look at, modest in size, and flexible and non-picky in placement.  The Epi 100 has a practically hemispheric high frequency dispersion, tight low musical bass, and a wide off-axis response.... all while being sweet and non-fatiguing all day long with whatever type of music one chooses.

Fosi Audio TB10D (upgraded version) $80

Wiim mini streamer                              $80

Geshelli Labs J2 Dac                           $250

Klipsch RB5II                                       $250

Decent sounding budget system IMO

@brad18loseke

I have a little Fosi amp as well in one of my systems and was shocked to hear how well it does with kef ls50s. I’ve heard some way more expensive amps fail miserably at that task.  A no brainer for <$100.