Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

My wife and I have three systems. 

Master bedroom, living room, listening room.

The living room system is the least expensive by far and consists of a pair of Pioneer stand-mount 2-ways designed by Andrew Jones, 14 gauge cheap speaker wire, and a  Denon AVR bought used. Source is streaming.

Total cost is under $600.

Sounds amazingly good for what it costs. Helped in no doubt by a large room with tall ceilings. Best bang for the buck of our three systems.

My second system is in my woodshop.  A very simple combination:

• Klipsch RP600M Bookshelf Speakers
  • NAD C316 BEE Integrated
  • BlueSound Node 2i

The Klipsch are efficient (96 dB) and make plenty of sound (including bass) with the 40W NAD.  Total price before tax a couple of years ago was $1600.  This system has exceeded my expectations.  I couldn't be happier with it.

Tekton Lore

Aiyima A07 chip amp

Schiit Modi DAC

Wiim Mini Streamer

The weakest link here is the Aiyima amp. Upgrade it with a Van Alstine SET 120 amp like I did or maybe a Schiit amp.

A $1500 System - Based on Reviews and Personal Experience

Terrific flexibility - but easily upgradeable.

$80   WIIM Mini Streamer -Optical SPIDF->DAC.  USB Laptop Streaming via USB->DAC is also somewhat being assumed.

$279 SMLS M200 DAC - Balanced, Remote w Volume Control, LDAC Bluetooth

$400 2 units - Sabaj A20a AMPS - Balanced, 2x 350W Monoblock or can Biamp depending on speakers

$320 Elac Debut 5.2 Speakers - flexible, ported

$109 Xduoo MT-602 2 Tube Preamp and Headphone AMP - for DAC->RCA outputs

$170 Drop 6XX Headphones - great on Tube Amps

$40   Blue Ray CD Player with Coax Output - to DAC.  For the analog vibe…

$100 for Cables

Total:  $1498 for a Streaming Headphone setup and powerful speaker setup w remote volume control

Sabaj RCA inputs and XLR/RCA switch make it possible for a tube preamp connection - for optional flavor.

Or… use one Sabaj A20a unbalanced and substitute other speakers for ~$520. You lose balanced and flexibility, though.

An Xduoo MT-604 could be used for the balanced DAC output to a tube Amp - but is more expensive.

I use an MT-604 as a balanced preamp to a balanced AB power amp - and the sound is great.

It is amazing how Moores law works in favor of audio. Many of the systems being discussed in this thread would have been $$$ just 3-5 years ago.