Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

@donavabdear 

Paradigm and Anthem are the perfect example of a company that should really make speakers and amps and crossovers made for each other.

I didn't realize you were driving your surrounds with Anthem. I already own many of the Paradigm/Anthem active speakers and of course agree that they are made for each other. I don't think it matters if you use gen 1 or 2 in a surround system. Maybe a fun comparison to run your mains in 2 channel stereo mode and swap the solid state Anthem out with the BHK tube amp and compare the differences.

@thespeakerdude. Where it is going to get complicated is "deciding" where an active speaker ends, and where a room correction system begins.

Amen !  Especially as DSP marches on to even better and better levels of problem solving.  

Brad

@lonemountain ,

It is one area where we think the ATMOS standard / specification is insufficient and lacks the framework for future extensibility, tuning, and features.

ATMOS provides a rough definition for the dispersion pattern of speakers depending on where used, but it is fixed, without consideration of actual pattern, cutoff, dispersion versus frequency, etc.  For an extensible object oriented speaker system, there should be much better ability to define the speakers and eventually the appropriate algorithms to maximize the "experience".   Though ATMOS is object based, those objects are assumed to be fixed in terms of what they are with a fluffy definition.

@thespeakerdude 

It is one area where we think 

You are stepping into an area that borders on fiction. You have NO system any one is aware of, no creds, and now "we"? Is we invisible too? Post a link to your think tank.

ATMOS provides a rough definition for the dispersion pattern of speakers

Really? You actually have an Atmos system that isn't invisible??? Details? Is this something you read about too? LOL.

eventually the appropriate algorithms to maximize the "experience".

When you have some pics to post of your atmos system you will actually have an experience, it should be better than a chatroom I hope.

Post removed