DC blockers - what's your experience

Just viewed a video about the AudioLab DC blocker. Then watched Paul from PS Audio explain how it works and now I’m intrigued. Anyone with insite?.

128x128tunehead

Thanks all.

@holmz  I don't necessarily have a problem. Don't know if I have a problem or the equipment to test if I do. Was more a general question after viewing reviews of DC blocker products and the positive affect for minimal investment.

@tunehead  - Avoid them unless you have an issue. One more piece of gear to break. 

DC should almost never happen in a home, and usually it's caused by things like LED power supplies and dimmer switches. Usually best to deal with the source of the problem and only if that can't be dealt with due to WAF and budget or being a tenant then a DC blocker is in order.

A better idea IMHO is to monitor your AC voltage near your rack and see how much it varies.  If you see too much a voltage regulator may be a good idea.

https://amzn.to/40AoTWG

Should point out that the thing DC blockers fix the most is mechanical transformer hum.  99% of the time it does not affect the electrical output.

Should point out that the thing DC blockers fix the most is mechanical transformer hum.  99% of the time it does not affect the electrical output.

this is correct and consistent with my experience

reality is, dc in the powerline is a reality for most, in modern homes, with modern electronics, lighting and appliances...

My experience of using a few different DC blockers is they seem to choke the transient impact, bass and speed of the power amplifier.

If you have DC issues, like I did in my last apartment, they can make the sound cleaner and clearer, but with the above mentioned negatives. So they give and take away.

If you have no DC issues, like in my current house, they just become a net negative and your system is better without them.